Chapter 11

Julian’s POV:

********

I can’t believe this. The whole cafeteria is starring at me and Dustin. Some of them are looking in aw, some in confusion, some in jealousy and some in disgust. My life at this school is officially over.

“Julian I’m sorry.” Dustin said with worried eyes. His eyes disappeared from that royal blue and turned back to their original state.

“It’s ok; they were going to find out eventually.” He forced a smile, but I can tell he still feels bad. “Dustin I mean it, its ok.”

“What are guys looking at?” He yelled glaring at everyone, they all darted their heads down at the table.

“Dustin it’s fine, if they can hate me if they want..” His face became red with anger.

“No! It’s not fine; I’ll pound anyone’s face who wants to hurt you.” I grabbed his hand to calm him down.

I felt something hit the back of my head. I felt my hair and there was squished banana in it, how gross. Em and Jake rushed up to clean the banana out of my hair and glare at whoever threw it.

“Don’t hit me!” I heard someone yell.

I looked behind me to see Dustin holding some kid by his shirt collar. So that’s the kid who threw the banana. Walking up to Dustin I gave him a stern look.

“Dustin its fine just let him go.” I said trying to hide my sadness. Dustin let go and turned to face me, I shot him a smile and he smiled back. We started walking back to our table.

“Yeah, walk away you fag!” That same kid yelled.

Dustin snapped and immediately turned around, marching at the dude with lightning speed. I grabbed his arm trying to hold him back; he just wiggled his arm and kept walking. He swung his arm back and punched the guy with all his might and he just kept punching and punching.

“Dustin that’s enough!” I yelled running up to him.

I grabbed Dustin trying to pull away. He pushed me away and I fell to the ground, he froze and just looked at me with a shocked face. Em ran up to me, helping me to my feet. She gave Dustin the dirtiest look she could; her and Jake helped me out of the cafeteria.

“Guys my ankle really hurts.”

“Ok, then lets take you to the nurse.” Em said as they walked me to the nurse’s office. This is the second time I’m here this year.

We knocked on the door and the nurse greeted us with a smile.

“Welcome back Julian, you can take a seat over there.” She pointed to the white bed you always see at a Doctors office. I walked over, Em and Jake helped me up.

“So by the way you’re walking, you hurt your ankle?” The nurse said walking up to me, I nodded.

“Ok, let’s take a looksy.” She began examining my ankle, talking to herself while she did it. “It’s only a fracture, it should be good in a week or so, but you need to wear a cast.

She put on a cast and gave me crutches to use temporarily. God this makes it even better, a gay handicap kid walking around the halls. At least I won’t get bullied as much if I have crutches, hopefully.

Em walked me to my locker, acting as tough as she could glaring at everyone. This was definitely a sight to see.

“Oh shoot! I need to go back to the café, I forgot my phone!” She said worriedly.

“Em, go get your phone before it gets stolen. I’ll meet you in History.” She smiled and then ran down the hallway like a maniac. God how did phones get so important to us over the years.

I grabbed my books and started walking to History. I know these halls like the back of my head. I can’t wait to graduate and leave this school.

“Hey faggot!” Someone yelled behind me. I turned around to see Caleb, how obvious.

“Just leave me alone, I’m not in the mood.”

“No.” His face turning red.

He pushed me against the wall, his face inches from mine, and his breath smells disgusting! He slugged me in the stomach, making my drop my crutches. They hit the floor with a clank, and all my body pressure was pressed onto my fractured ankle again.

“Oww!” I cried out, with tears now flowing down my face.

“Shut up! This is your punishment for talking to Emily, after I told you to never talk to her again!

“Shes my best friend.”

“I don’t care. I don’t want a fag around my girlfriend! You got that.” I can’t stand his breath anymore, I’m going to puke!

He punched me in the stomach one more time before letting go, I fell to the ground, my crutch jabbing into my chest. He laughed and walked away. Pulling myself up, with the help of my crutches I started walking to History again. My face is soaked with tears, and my eyes are red and puffy, this is so embarrassing! Knocking on the door, the teacher opened it, her eyes turning wide.

“Oh my god Julian!”

“I’m fine.” I said walking past her

I walked to my seat and Dustin’s eyed widened when he saw me. I just kept my head down and my eyes on my desk.

------

The class was almost over and I’m thankful for that. Dustin kept looking at me, trying to talk but I kept m head down, doodling the whole class.

“Ring!” The bell went off, and I got up as fast as my crutches would let me, and rushed into the hall.

“Julian wait!” Dustin said running up to me.

“What do you want?”

“I want a chance to say sorry! I didn’t mean to push you. I was trying to pumble that guy for calling you a f-.” I cut him off “don’t say that word.”

“I’m sorry.” He said the worried look on his face shown that he truly is sorry, but I can’t let myself get hurt again.

“I-I choose Jake.” I mumbled, hoping he didn’t hear me.

“What?”

“I said, I choose Jake.” The look on his face broke my heart into pieces. He looked like a lost puppy.  No Julian, be strong! With that I turned around and walked down the hall.

Everyone was giving me looks of disgust, except this one girl. She looked shy, with long black hair, dressed in black skinnies and a white tank top.

“Hey.” She said walking up to me.

“Hi..” I kept looking down at my feet.

“I’mElizabeth, but my nickname is Liz.”

“Don’t you know I’m g-gay?” Her face lit up with a smile.

“I know, and I’m a lesbian.” I widened my eyes in shock.

“You’re a lesbian?”

“Yup, and we will be the best of friends.” She said as she helped me down the hall, god crutches are annoying! We just exited the school when I saw Em waiting for me, in the usual spot.

“Hey.” She said cheerfully

“H-” I stopped when I remembered the conversation with Caleb.

“I gotta go!” I shouted as I stumbled away, pulling Liz with me.

She brought my to her car, and god it was a nice car! She helped me in, then cranked the music. I already know we will be good friends.