Novacane

Stopping to light his cigarette, Kit waited until the flame took over the tip to glance down the street.

The rain was coming down pretty hard, the lack of cabs having to do with the fact almost everyone needed one.

He’d taken one here himself. The itching of his eyes told him he probably should’ve taken the cab home like he’d plan, but the urge to get a drink had been pushed off long enough. So, he got out a few stops early.

He’d had a bad day. His audition had gone well, but he found himself the least bit excited about it.

Stepping on the bud, he turned to head inside the music and mixture of laughter making him relax. He’d been working on staying clean, drinking each time the itch got real bad. but today it was too unbearable which is why he found himself headed in the direction of the bar where his ex-girlfriend Lisa sat.

"Kit" she smiled as she watched him take a seat beside her. "Long time no see."

Giving her a smile, Kit let Lisa pull him into a hug before returning to her seat.

"How you been?" She asked as she put down her empty glass.

"Good" he smiled motioning for the bar tender to refill her drink.

"Really?"

Nodding, Kit took in her look of disbelief but didn’t give her the response she wanted.

He knew she wasn’t the type of person to hold back what was on her mind which is why he avoided her gaze as she picked up her drink.

"Well," she sighed before taking a sip. "You look like shit."

He didn’t need her to tell him to know it was true. The last time he’d seen Lisa, Kit had woken beside her up with a speedball hanging out of his arm. That wasn’t out of the ordinary for them as a couple. The only reason they’d been together in the first place was their love for a dangerous high. Only the last time he had his mom got involved, sent him off to rehab.

"Look Lisa, I’m gonna need you to hook me up with something" he replied running his hand over his face.

"I thought you got clean-"

"fuck rehab" he replied cutting her off. "What are you, my mother?"

"Chill, Jeez" she replied innocently holding up her hands. "Here."

Reaching into her purse she pulled out a rolled up bag before passing it to him.

"This one’s on me, let’s call it a welcome back gift."

"Thanks."

"We can do some of it in the back" she smiled, the moving of her hand onto his thigh not affecting him in the same way it used to. Maybe he really did have to be high to want her.

"I’m good," he replied. "Think I’m gonna head to the hotel."

Pocketing it, Kit downed his shot before wincing as it burned his throat.

"If you’re looking for some company, I’d recommend my girl Dani over there."

"Lisa no" he sighed. "I’m not-"

"I don’t care what you say Kit" she over spoke him. "When was the last time you got a good fuck given to you?"

Not responding, Kit straightened his jacket before getting up. He could say he didn’t remember, but he did.

"I’m just saying, take her home. She’ll be worth the pay."

Waiting until she was gone, Kit followed her gaze until he found the one she was talking about.