chapter ten

" Drop your weapon!" Jaz said pointing her gun to scott's head.
  Scott was an insurgence. He and his troops were sent to kidnap Lagos state governor Samuel Olu. His troops had escaped from Jaz nest using scott as bait.
"Sir, i need you to step aside. This kidnapper is highly dangerous !" Jaz yelled.
"You and your co boko-haram will pay. I would make you rot in hell. You will kiss rats and dis virgin frogs!" Governor Samuel cursed.
Jaz patrolled scott to his van, handcuffed him to the door handle.
"You think you fit escape, they go find me and butcher you", Scott spat on Jaz. He was speaking pidgin, broken English.
" Not on my watch", Jaz turned to the Governor.  "Let me take you home sir".
"Who are you? I should reward you handsomely for saving my life. We need people like you in this country. Give me a clue of who you are", Governor Samuel said.
" My identity is fine this way. Most important thing is, you are safe. Jaz said loosening the rope on his hands. "I have called the state police, you can take it from here".
Jaz was gone before the governor could thank her. She was jumping from roof tops to tunnels to lie low, finding a safe place to change clothes. The night was almost it darkest, something was odd today, somebody was following her.
"You really are very fast", the voice was panting aloud. I mean, i have been trying to meet up from your crime scene.
Jaz turned around to see the face on her tail. He was masked like her. " Who are you ?" She asked. "How in God's name did you know where the crime took place. I only alerted the state police few minutes ago. It takes 5-6 minutes before the news gets on air". Jaz was confused.
"I was the hitman behind the anonymous message about Governor Samuel's kidnap. I was at the place of kidnap, you see", the voice said.
Jaz felt stupid for the first time, she thought she was always one step ahead of Nigerians but today someone is. "Why are you masked then, are you trying to be me?" Jaz asked.
"Hell, you wish! You really think you are the only person trying to help this country. We've all got the skills but not the balls. You read me", He said laughing.
Jaz was noticing his masked face as they settled in a tunnel where nobody was watching. She could tell he was a guy in his thirties. That was all she could read, his mask were covering all corners of his face, except his eyeballs and lips. He wore the kind of mask bandit and robbers always wear. "Ok, i get you now. You needed a headstart before you can get out of your hiding place. Since i did, you decided to help. Listen young man the only reason you are still alive is i had the entire day kicking asses, so go home and let me do my job". Jaz said.
"Tempting! What makes you think the world you are saving cares? The governor you saved embezzle all the funds in the state. Why save a criminal from a criminal?" He asked.
Jaz heard the sarcasm in his tone, she thought deep of what he said. " listen i don't know why you are here, i think it's a long day. You should get off my tail". Jaz tried to slip off while coming out of the tunnel when he grasped her arm.
"I have come along way to know the face behind the mask, besides all your victims said it was a girl, i needed to be sure", He said smiling. Jaz tugged her arm away from his and headed outside the tunnel.
She finally said, " Well, you are a fan and am happy to know, you should go". She looked back after the long silence, the guy was gone.