Chapter two

Jaz screamed from her sleep only to see Abbie holding her hand. She must have witnessed her smuggle on the bed.
"Here, drink this. It's a herbal tea that relaxes the mind, Mother always gives it to her patients", Abbie said. " You still have those nightmares, Jaz ?"
Jaz stood up after drinking the tea and said, "Yes, i still have those crazy dreams. It doesn't change, it comes the same way you know, Fire everywhere". She sat down to catch her breathe.
Jaz was only 7 when her parents died. She was the only child of her parents. She went out to play that afternoon, when she heard her parents and some other villagers conversing.
She heard them say, "We are not leaving this place. Port-harcourt is our home ,because of their greed for this oil, they want us to be homeless".
Another person in their midst said,". I heard they have given us until today to relocate or else they would take us by surprise".
Jaz left to play and didn't return until evening, she was scared her parents would scold her for coming this late. She got home only to find her village scattered. There was nobody to tell her why her village was grazing with fire. She saw ambulance, firefighters, reporters and what was left of her village. Her parents weren't among, not until a woman stopped her from going any further.
"Little girl, are you a villager? What's your name? Come and identify yourself". Jaz followed the woman to where the state policemen were standing.
" What is your name", the officer asked.
"I am Chioma Okolie", Jaz answered " where are my parents ?" She added.
The investigator told her to go into a bus filled with children her age. Jaz couldn't understand what was going on, she started to run towards her parents home. She found the house burnt, when they caught up with her they told her she would be taken care of, that she would be fine.
Jaz didn't stop crying until she laid her head on the bed. She woke up the next day to observe her new home. She was now staying at St. Teresa's orphanage owned by a catholic church.
Jaz moved around her new environment, observing new faces until she came to an office, where a reverend sister was sitting with another woman of 30 - 35 years, somewhat her mothers age.  She was dark in complexion, she had a full lip. She was dressed all white, from her head to toe. 
Jaz opened the door and walked in. The reverend sister walked her out, but of course she refused. She started to cry, screaming and saying she wants home. The sister stood up to approach crying Jaz but the other woman had picked her up. She asked the reverend what had happened to her parents. The reverend sister told her that her parents died in a fire accident.
Jaz stopped crying after a while resting on the woman's lap. Then, the other woman said, " I want this one". She signed a few papers, adopted Jasmine and took her home the next day.