chapter five

Happy birthday to you Mrs Mary James". Abbie gifted her mother something in a small box and pecked her cheek. Jaz came in afterwards gave her a box shaped present wrapped in blue. The party was happening at mary's, she had three guest, which were mid-wives. They were also her friends.
" Jaz, how have you been? I have something to tell you". Mary said.
"Can't it wait", Jaz whispered.
" No! There's news everywhere about a girl claiming to be Nigerians Wonder-Woman. I was thinking you would be opened to investigate the matter". Mary said.
Jaz stared at her for a while and finally said, "The evening is still young, old woman lets enjoy the party. We could talk anytime".
"When you are gone or when you disappear into thin air as usual!" Mary cried out.
Abbie and Jaz were clearing the table after the party had ended, when Mary entered. "Abbie give us a moment, will you? Abbie hugged her and left. "You have changed so much. You use to be a jovial soul when i brought you to my home, you had ambitions and desires. What happened to you?" Mary was still talking when she lifted Abbie's present. It was a locket, she opened it, it was containing a picture they all took as a family. She smiled, " Abbie really has a big heart, she loves family".
Jaz kept mute for a while, pretending not to have heard what her mother said. She finally said,"She really does have a heart so big, we are just two different people".
When Mary picked Jaz from St Teresa's orphanage, she had brought her home to Lagos. Her house wan't so luxurious but it was comfortable. She had built it hoping to adopt more children after she divorced her husband. Jaz was settling down when she noticed another girl in the garden. She asked Mary who the girl was? Mary had told her, the girl's name is Abbie, and that she picked her just like Jaz. Jaz grew up with mary as her mother and Abbie her sister. She joined the army after her secondary school, she was always envious of people preferring Abbie to her in school.
Jaz was a light skinned Nigerian, she had dark iris that always illuminated her skin colour. Jaz was more of a tomboy dresser, she never wore skirt outside school. She always matched a simple top with jean, but she preferred hoodie. She was barely on makeup. She was slender, but had flaunting curves, to that of Abbie. People preferred Abbie because of her accent, she was sweet at heart and very pretty. Jaz was fierce, rude but still nice.
Mary in her stay overseas as they call it here, found Abbie wandering at her garden in Chicago. She decided to take the orphan in, who escaped from an orphanage home. She took Abbie to Nigeria because of some complications in Chicago. Mary got divorced. Her marriage ended after two years of running around looking for a cure to her barrenness. She worked as a nurse in Nigeria then moved to Chicago to expand her expertise, when she found Abbie.
"Why did you run from the army. I had to cover your tracks. You knew the consequences Jaz, why risk it". Mary asked
" I haven't done that which is in my mind, until then i can be happy". Jaz replied.
"Are you opened for the investigation, it could be a start to something", Mary was still talking when Jaz interrupted.
" Am not interested, i survive fine". Jaz saw Abbie's gift to her mother on the sofa, she remembered the day, they took the picture. She remembered how she had wanted an English name like that of Abbie's. Mommy Mary as what she called her, told her to pick a name she would like to be called. Jaz watched alot of films and read books but no name inspired her. When she watched Alladin and the magic lamp', the name Jasmine inspired her because the character in the film was  brave, likewise she hoped never to meet her Alladin.
Keep reading!