Chapter 5 (Alice and Tig POV)

Alice POV

I spent the rest of the day in a haze. Somehow I couldn’t get that mysterious man off of my mind. Tig Traeger. Something about him just stuck with me. Soon, something made me remember this morning. There had been a car following Tig while he was trailing me. They didn’t mention that they had anyone else watching me besides Tig, and they didn’t mention anything about knowing someone was behind him. That gave me a nervous feeling. I decided it was best if I called them and double-checked with them about the mysterious car. I grabbed my cell phone, located the folder with the numbers on them, and decided to call the young guy… Jax, it said.

The phone rang and rang. Finally, a voice on the other end answered. “Hello?”

“Uh, is this Jax Teller?” I had to admit, I was pretty nervous about talking to any of them.

“Yeah. Who’s this?” He sounded really suspicious.

“This is Alice. Alice Larson?”

“Oh, hey, Alice. What’s up? Something wrong?” There was suddenly concern in his voice.

“Uh, no, not really. I just remembered something that I meant to ask you guys earlier. Is this a good time?” I started biting my lip.

“Yeah, it’s fine. What did you need to ask?”

“Well, after I left the house this morning and went to the furniture store, I noticed your man following me. But there was a car that was following him. A black one. It was parked a little further down from him. You guys didn’t mention that you had anyone else following me besides the single bike, so… I was wondering if you knew who it was.” I was really hoping that it was someone with their crew, too. Otherwise I may have something to worry about.

There was a little silence at the other end of the line. Then he finally spoke. “Tig didn’t say anything about it when he came back. We didn’t know anything about it. I will let everyone know, and until then, there are a couple things I want you to do.”

“Sure. Anything to keep Mak safe.” I was getting really worried again.

“Keep an eye out for the car again. Watch out for anything suspicious. The first signs of anything, you call me. Someone will come over and check on everything. Keep your doors and windows locked. Do you understand?” He was trying to stay calm.

“Yeah, I understand… Thank you, Jax…”

“It’s no problem, darlin’. Just remember: call me if anything suspicious happens, alright?”

“Yes, I will. No worries there. Goodnight.” I hung up and went around to all of the windows and doors, locking them and double checking them. Before going to put Mak down for the night, I looked out the big front window out on to the street. I didn’t see anything yet. Sighing, I headed to get the giggling Makayla from the other room and put her to bed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

After I had put Mak down for the night, I went to my new bed and curled up with a good book. At some point, I must have fallen asleep, because I jolted awake, my mind foggy, at a sudden noise at the back door. Instantly, I panicked. I got out of bed, put on a sweatshirt, grabbed my cell phone, and ran for Makayla.

Reaching her room, I grabbed her from her new crib, wrapping her in a blanket. She was so tired from her day of playing that she didn’t even wake up. Quietly, I scampered through the house to the front door. Reaching it, I stopped and tried to listen for any more sounds.

A sound of glass shattering soon filled the house, making my blood run cold. I quickly unlocked the front door and, sliding on a pair of flip flops I had next to the door, I ran out of the house as fast as I could. I was close to the outskirts of town, and there was a huge hilly area not too far away. I ran towards the tree-covered hills.