Chapter 3 (Alice POV)

I woke up at six o’ clock to Mak crying. She hasn’t been sleeping very well lately, and has nightmares a lot. I sighed and threw the covers off of myself, crawling up off of the floor. The air mattress wasn’t very comfortable at all. I was hoping to pick up a bed today, so I wouldn’t have to spend another horrid night tossing and turning. I padded my way down the hallway, a gentle breeze blowing in through a window in the living room and curling around my legs. I pushed the door open to Makayla’s room and saw her sitting up in her playpen, tears pouring down her cute chubby cheeks. I picked her up, stroking her brown curly hair. “Oh, baby… Did you have a bad dream again? It’s ok, sweetie, Mommy’s got you.”

Makayla soon calmed down and went back to sleep. I gently placed her down in her playpen again, and walked to the kitchen. I decided I may as well stay up now, since I would be up in two hours again anyway. I grabbed a bottle of Mountain Dew out of the refrigerator, and went out to get the paper off of the front porch. As I bent down to get it, I noticed what looked like a bike sitting down about a block from my house. It looked like someone was sitting on it, watching my house.

“Stop it, Alice, you’re just paranoid. There’s no way in hell he could find you here. Just shut up!” I muttered to myself as I hurried back inside. I pushed the door closed and locked it, hoping like hell it was just my paranoia. I pulled out one of the chairs for my card table and sat down, opening the paper. I would need to learn about the local customs and politics if I was to make a go of living in Charming, California.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At about eight, I folded up the paper completely and went to get Makayla out of her playpen and to get her dressed. I grabbed my purse and Mak’s small diaper bag, and out to the truck we went. I had a list in my purse of the things I was going to need to make our new house a home. As I got Mak buckled into her car seat, I looked up and noticed that there really WAS a bike parked down a block from my house and a guy WAS staring at me. I was scared now. I hurried around and got in the driver’s seat. I turned around and headed towards the furniture store.

I was scared now. Who was that sitting there, watching my house? What did they want? I don’t want to have to run again! But I would if I had to. I had to protect my baby. I checked my rearview mirror. The guy on the bike was following me! Now I was freaking out. I was definitely being tailed. I didn’t know the town well enough to try to lose them, and if they happened to be local, they would know the streets better than me, anyway. I was just going to have to go about my business and wait.

Checking my rearview mirror again, I noticed that there was a black car following the guy on the bike. I realized the car had also been sitting on my street. Good lord, what kind of town had I moved into?! I looked at my daughter, who was chatting away in her car seat. I had to keep her safe. I needed to think what my point of action will be.

I found myself at the furniture store, so I quickly parked and got Mak out of her car seat. I watched the bike and the car drive by, and the guy on the bike was looking at me. That scared me. I think he knew now, though, that I knew he was watching me. I didn’t give him a chance to turn around and come by me again, because I grabbed my purse and ran into the store.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried to stay in the store as long as I reasonably could. I didn’t want to go back out and face the people who were watching me. But, I eventually purchased a small table and chairs for the dining room, a bed for myself, a crib for Mak, and a dresser for each of us. I paid the guy with cash, which surprised him. I never used my credit card or debit card, because it would leave a paper trail and they would be able to hunt me easier. After he took my cash, I arranged for my purchases to be delivered to my house and tried to brace myself as I headed out to the truck.

I got out to the truck and looked around. No sign of the car or of the biker. I hurriedly put Mak in her car seat. I was paranoid now. I hurried home, because the delivery truck was being loaded and driven over right away. I needed to get home before the truck got there, that way I could tell them where they could put the furniture, that way I didn’t have to try to move it around myself.

I got to the house without incident, constantly checking my mirrors and every car that passed me. I parked on the street again, unbuckled Mak, and hurried her to the house. I sat her down in her playpen with some of her toys while I ran outside to move my bike for the delivery truck. Putting it behind the house, I hurried back inside so that Mak didn’t worry.

The delivery truck came about ten minutes later, and the two guys who were with the company were kind enough. They were happy to set the furniture pieces in their proper rooms. I gave them some extra cash for helping me do that, and sent them on their way. I was getting ready to make myself some lunch when I remembered that I had left Mak’s diaper bag out in the truck yet. I quickly checked on Mak and, seeing that she was busy playing with her favorite keyboard, I quickly ran out to the car and grabbed it.

I had just gotten back up on the porch when the sound of motorcycles hit my ears. It was many of them, by the sounds of it. This didn’t sound good. I quickly ran inside and grabbed Mak from her playpen. I wasn’t taking any chances. It was a good thing I did, because just then, there was a knock at my door.