Chapter 8 (Alice POV)

I walked into the clubhouse with a sleeping Mak, Tig’s arm protectively around my waist and the others trailing behind us. Tig said that we could take his room, so I went in and laid Mak out on the floor before joining the group back out in the gathering space. I paced around the poker table in the middle of the room. Soon, Clay asked, “What happened tonight, Alice?”

“I decided to be ready this time, in case they tried it again. I packed bags. I slept in clothes and shoes… I was ready. They tried to break in the bathroom window this time. I heard them so I called Tig. I got all of my stuff ready, grabbed Mak, and ran to the truck. They saw me and started chasing me. I made it into the truck before they got me. I locked the doors and started the engine. I took off just as the first guy got to my car…” I started shaking.

“How many were there?” Jax asked, obviously pissed off.

“Two that I saw. Who knows. There could have been more elsewhere.” I started chewing on my lip like I always did when I was nervous. “I drove around awhile, in case I was being followed. Then I came here…” I could feel the fear again as silent tears started falling.

Tig got up and grabbed me, pulling me to his chest. He held me there, his arms strong but gentle. “I don’t care what I have to do, Alice. They won’t get you or Mak.”

His words were exactly what I needed to hear. I started sobbing and I could feel my knees giving out. Tig just held me tighter, supporting my weight. He turned to Clay, and I could hear the hostility in his voice. “Are you finished with the fucking questions? Can she go and get some sleep now?”

I peeked out of where I was buried in his chest to catch all of the shocked reactions. Apparently this was a side of Alex Traeger they weren’t used to seeing. I reburied my head, wishing that everything would be alright soon.

Clay muttered that he would talk to me again in the morning when I was feeling up to it. Tig picked me up and carried me to his room, the others muttering goodnights to me.

Just as Tig had gotten to the door of his room, Jax came walking up behind us carrying a playpen. “I had this out in the truck. Figured you could use this tonight.”

I muttered my thanks and Jax went in ahead of me and set it up. He gently picked Mak up off of the floor and settled her down in it. He gave a slight wave and was gone again.

Tig sat me down on the bed. “I’m going to go and grab your bags from the other room. That way you can change into something more comfortable.” He didn’t wait for a reply, but headed out the door. He was back a minute later carrying mine and Mak’s overnight bags. He asked which was mine and set it on the bed next to me. Putting Mak’s on the floor at the end of the playpen, he turned to me. “I will step out and see that the security system is working right. I’ll be back to make sure you’ve got everything you need.” He left again before I could respond.

I went through my bag and found my extremely oversized tee shirt I slept in. I stripped out of my clothes and slid the shirt on over my head. Stuffing my old clothes in my bag, I had just pushed it under the bed and out of the way when there was a knock on the door. “I’m dressed,” I said.

Tig opened the door and was taken aback when he saw me. He just looked at me, taking all of me in, unable to speak. When he finally managed to snap out of it, he asked, “Is there anything else I can get you?” I shook my head and he said, “Ok, well… if you need me, I’ll be out in the other room on the couch. Security system is working fine, so you don’t have anything to worry about.” He turned to leave.

I don’t know what overtook me, but I said, “Please don’t go. Stay with me?” I pulled the hair tie out of my hair and felt it cascade down my shoulders. The last thing I wanted was to be alone, and there was no one else in the world that I would rather have next to me than Tig Traeger.