Chapter 9 (Tig POV)

I let Alice drive back to her place and we rode in silence. I was too worried about how she felt about Makayla calling me “Dada” to start up any kind of conversation with her, and she was obviously deep in her own thoughts and didn’t try to start one with me. We pulled up in front the house, parking directly in front of the sidewalk leading to the front door. As she shut off the engine, I said, “You should stay here and let me check that the house is clear. Watch the cars parked on the street. If you see anyone sitting in one, keep tabs on them until I get back. Then I will go and check it out.” She opened her mouth to protest, and I snapped, “You will listen to me this time. If you had listened to me the last time, you wouldn’t have had to run for your life last night.” I got out of the truck, drew my gun, and walked to the front door, keeping my eyes constantly moving around for a sign of any trouble.

When I entered the front door and stepped into the kitchen and dining room, the first thing that I saw was red spray paint on the far wall, the message saying, “ALL TIME RUNS OUT”. It was a clear message saying that they would get her eventually. I immediately saw red. Trying to calm down, I did a sweep of the rest of the house. Everything was a mess, but the house was empty.

I walked towards the door, going to get Alice, when I heard gunshots. My blood ran cold as I heard glass shatter. I took cover behind the wall between the front door and dining room window. I peeked out the window and it took all of my strength not to break it and jump through, running to Alice’s truck. Someone had opened fire on it and she was nowhere to be seen. I heard tires squealing down the street, and when they were gone, I threw open the door and was out to the road in a flash.

I threw the passenger door open, screaming her name. I looked down, seeing she was curled up in a ball on the seat. Thinking she was shot, I turned her over carefully. To my surprise, she wasn’t shot. She had cuts on her face from glass shattering, but otherwise she was unharmed. She looked up at me, her big green eyes brimming with tears.

Holstering my gun, I grabbed her and pulled her into my arms. She started to cry, and I stayed silent for a few minutes, until she got most of it out of her system. Then I asked her for details on the shooting.

“There were two guys in a black sedan. Like the one I saw following me the day you guys came to my house. They both just… started shooting…” She buried her face into my chest again.

I comforted her for a few seconds more before saying, “We should hurry up and get your stuff. We need to get away from this house. I just hope they haven’t followed you to know that you’re staying at the clubhouse. It would be rather stupid for them to attack at the clubhouse, but I can’t say it won’t happen.” I helped her to her feet and we hurried into the house.

Grabbing some garbage bags, Alice went into her room and then into Makayla’s, gathering clothes, toys, and supplies for an extended stay. I kept watch at all of the windows, not trusting any vehicle that drove past. A few minutes later, Alice stood in the hallway, two full garbage bags in her hands. “Let’s go. I don’t want to take my truck anywhere anymore. It’s just a rolling target. We will take my bike back. I can stuff all of this stuff in the saddlebags.” She headed for the back door.

I kept an eye out for anything suspicious as she packed everything into the saddle bags. “I will have to stop at the truck for a minute and grab my purse, then we will be on the way,” she said, closing the saddlebags and climbing onto her bike. She started the engine and I climbed on back.

We pulled out of the backyard, went down the driveway, and stopped momentarily at the truck. I hopped off, grabbed her purse from the cab of the ruined truck, and got back on, tucking the purse in between our bodies. She took off down the street, clearly used to driving. As we headed back to the clubhouse, I kept an eye out for anyone following us and checked inside every black car for two men.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone must have taken the sound of Alice’s bike as a meaning of trouble, because everyone had walked out into the yard as we pulled into the lot. Alice parked her bike away from everyone else’s, feeling the outsider. That and it was easier to hide farther back in the row. Clay and Jax walked up to us as Alice turned off the engine. I got off and she parked the bike, going to open the saddle bags.

“What happened to the truck?” Jax asked, bewildered.

“Two men in a black sedan opened fire on her while I was in clearing the house. Truck is pretty much totaled, I think. So we took this instead.” I pointed to the bike.

“Alice, are you ok?!” Jax walked over and grabbed her arms, making her stay still so he could check her over.

“Yes, Jax, I’m fine. Just some cuts and scrapes is all.” She grabbed the two garbage bags and her purse, heading towards the clubhouse.

“I just hope we weren’t followed here. I can’t put it past these guys to try to attack her here.” I rubbed my weary face.

“We will have some extra detail around here for awhile. Hopefully they will see that we won’t let her be taken very easily and back off.” Jax watched as Alice disappeared into the clubhouse with her load. “I just hope that it’s all sooner rather than later. I can tell she wants to just get on with a normal life.”

I nodded as I watched her come out of the clubhouse and go to the shop’s office to collect Makayla. “She’s taking this like a champ, though, you have to admit. I just wish I knew the answer to making all of this go away.” I headed towards the shop to start on some more projects, hoping that it would get my mind off of everything.

----------------------------------------------------------

We had a peaceful week and a half. Alice and the guys lapsed into a routine, and Makayla enjoyed the attention that she received from everyone. She and Jax were starting to develop quite a bond, and he even brought his boys over to play a few times. We had scaled back the detail after a few uneventful days, and I could tell that Alice was getting restless and anxious to get back into her own house.

It was a pretty beautiful day out, and Alice agreed to help Gemma out with some paperwork things in the office. I was working on a 1993 truck in the shop, the other guys floating about. After a few days of arguing, I had finally convinced Alice that Mak would be fine playing in the playground set with Jax’s boys without her constantly watching her.  How wrong I was.

We heard the screeching of tires and the banging of car doors. I dropped the wrench and rag I was holding and ran to the door of the garage. Alice appeared at the door as well, eyes wide. Two guys got out of the sedan, tore down part of the fence around the play area, and grabbed Mak. One guy got in the driver’s side while the one holding Mak got into the back seat. They threw the sedan into reverse and tore out of the yard, Jax, Opie, Clay, Juice, and I all shooting at the car, hoping to stop it.

We had to cease fire when Alice went running down the drive towards the road, screaming. By the time she was halfway down the drive, the car was already gone and out of sight, the engine a faint sound in the distance. I tore off after her, managing to catch her just before she ran out into the traffic on the street. I pulled her back into the yard by the clubhouse as Jax ran to his screaming and crying sons.

Alice was struggling to get loose from my grasp, fully intending to run after the car. Juice, Opie, and Clay all got on their bikes in an attempt to locate the car as Jax and Gemma moved the crying boys into the shop’s office. I kept yelling at her to calm down, that they were gone. Finally, she seemed to get it through her head. She collapsed into a pile in my arms, screaming and sobbing for Makayla.

I tried to cradle her and to calm her, but it did nothing but anger her. She turned to me and started beating on my chest. “YOU TOLD ME IT WAS OK! YOU SAID SHE WAS SAFE! YOU LIED! YOU LIED!”

All I could do was stand there and let her hit me until she collapsed into my chest. I put my arms around her and cried with her as the guys pulled back in the yard, somber. They hadn’t been able to find the car. Makayla was gone.