Chapter 11 (Alice POV)

I woke up the next morning plastered against Tig’s side. We were still naked. The events of last night rushed back to me. I couldn’t believe that we had gone there. Especially while my whole world, my daughter, is gone. I rubbed my eyes, ashamed that I didn’t really feel too bad about doing it. What Tig had said last night was right. We were just wanting comfort. It didn’t mean that I loved my daughter any less. I had to wait to hear from Damien before we could plan any type of rescue.

Carefully, I got up out of bed. After putting on clean underwear, a pair of shorts, and Tig’s discarded shirt, I went into the kitchen to make breakfast. I decided on eggs, bacon, and pancakes. I decided on toast at the last minute, and started alternating between stirring the scrambled eggs and putting toast in the toaster and pulling out finished pieces. As I finished up the eggs, Tig came wandering in.

I turned my head. “Good morning, sleepy head.” I dished up the eggs and grabbed the plate of toast, putting them on the table. “I made us breakfast.”

“I can smell that. It looks great. Thanks.” He looked me over, head to toe. “You look beautiful in the morning, you know?”

My body warmed under his gaze, and I know I blushed at his comment. I sauntered over and stood in front of him. “Thank you,” I whispered. He bent his head and pecked me on the lips. I poured us both a glass of orange juice and sat down.

We started eating in silence, but soon Tig asked, “Do you feel better today about last night?” He looked up, chewing a bite of eggs. “I hope you do.”

I sighed. “It’s complicated. I feel ashamed that I’m not ashamed. You know?” I looked up at him. “My turn for a question.”

“Alright, fair is fair. Go ahead.”

“Do you mean what you said last night?” I held my breath, knowing that the future for Mak and I depended on his answer. I couldn’t really stay in Charming if he didn’t mean it. I couldn’t bear knowing that the man I loved, that my daughter adored, didn’t feel the same. At least about me.

“Did you mean what YOU said?”

I put down my fork and stared straight at him. “One thing you should learn about me fast, Tig, is that I never say anything that I don’t mean.” I got up from the table and went to a box in the next room. Digging around a little, I found what I was looking for and went back to the kitchen. Sitting down, I handed him the picture frame I had grabbed.

Taking it, Tig looked at it and set it up on its stand on the table. “Is this Mak’s dad?” He couldn’t stop looking at the picture of me and as blonde, shaggy-haired man smiling wide in a restaurant.

I gave a small smile, trying not to cry. “Yes, that’s Andy. He died just a few months after I found out I was pregnant. Damien and his men captured him and tried to get him to tell them where I was. He had sent me away on a bus to Cincinnati that morning, said that he would finish things up in New York and follow me. I saw on the news about him being dumped of the Brooklyn Bridge that night. The police didn’t find his remains for about two weeks. He was my first love. I thought he was my last, too, until I met you.” A stray tear ran down my cheek and I hurridly wiped it away.

“What happened when it came time to have Mak?” He looked up at me finally.

“Andy was sending me to his uncle, who lived in the nowhere parts of Ohio somewhere. His wife was a nurse and they had agreed to help us out. I was going to have Mak, we were going to wait a week, and take off out of the country. Andy had a contact that was going to get us new identities and passports. His uncle and aunt were going to meet me at a certain diner in the heart of Cincinnati and we would drive to their cabin in the woods.” I had to wipe away another tear before I continued. “His aunt showed up, saying that his uncle had been contacted by Damien, that he knew what was going on. She had been kept out of it, luckily, and she had come to warn me. She told me that she had a special untraceable phone to stay in contact with me. She knew of a safe house that would take me in. I should go there and take the number for the phone. When it was time to have the baby, I should call the number and she would be there in 10 minutes to help me deliver.” I got up and put dishes in the sink, no longer hungry.

“Let me guess, she never answered your call? You delivered alone in the safe house?”

“Yep. I did. In the bathroom, on the floor. Took me about eight hours to deliver her. I cleaned her up myself, cut the cord, tied it off, and cleaned myself up. I had luckily researched some Planned Parenting places around the city and had gotten diapers, wipes, bottles, and formula from them. I went to the Salvation Army and thrift stores to get her some clothes and travelling supplies. I splurged and got a new car seat for her, and bought a cheap car. As I was leaving the city, I found out that Andy’s aunt and uncle had been slaughtered in their cabin. That was why she didn’t come to help me when I called. It was after that I decided not to rely on anyone else again. Everyone who tried to help me get away from Damien ended up dead.”

I leaned up against the counter, staring at the floor. Now, my baggage was on the table for him to see. I had fought hard the last two years to keep the both of us out of Damien’s hands, and now that I allowed my guard to be let down, my daughter is gone. I needed to get her back and to be rid of Damien forever. Maybe the guys I let my guard down for will be the ones to save me.

Tig stood up and was standing in front of me before I broke from my thoughts. I looked up at him and he was looking down at me. I couldn’t stop the tears from flowing down my face anymore. Gently, he wiped each of them away with the pad of his thumb. Leaning forward, he rested his forehead against mine. “I mean what I said, Alice. I love you,” he whispered. I collapsed in his arms, sobbing.

------------------------------------------------------------

An hour later, Tig and I rode up to the clubhouse on the back of his bike. The guys were having a conversation outside the club and turned to watch us pull in and park. As a courtesy, Tig helped hand my down off the back of the bike as he rested the bike on its kickstand and shut off the motor. He took my hand in his as we walked up to the silent and staring group. “Mornin’, boys,” Tig said, lighting up a cigarette.

Jax smirked a little as he said, “Well, good mornin’ to you two. Busy night?”

I blushed a little. “Yeah, you could say that.” I gave Tig a half hug while he took the cigarette out of his mouth and kissed the top of my head. “I finally am able to trust and love someone again. I just didn’t think that I would find that in a member of a motorcycle gang.”

“You never know where you will find love, lass,” Chibbs said with a soft smile.

“While you guys were gone, Juice did some research on Damien Sparks. Turns out no one has a picture of him. No one knows what he looks like. But he has been responsible for multiple corporate takeovers of financial-based companies. He is loaded. Why would he want you?” Jax asked.

“Because my family was supposed to be rich as hell. My dad was a financer and had his own company. My dad’s friend took over the business and paid people off to keep it under wraps for good. He didn’t want my dad and the family to be embarrassed in the public eye. He paid my dad a wage for the rest of his life, and then to my mom before she got married off and died. I have all the paperwork about it. My dad’s friend apparently will not sell off the rights to the business, so Damien is trying to get the money through me. But all I have to my name is $5,000 that I made myself when I was able to hide in places long enough to work.”

“I see. Then that is kind of understandable. Apparently he has tendencies similar to the mob,” Clay said. “I just hope that he hurries up and calls so we know exactly what he is thinking.”

As if signaled, my cell phone started ringing. Hitting the answer button, I answered it. “Hello?”

“Ah, Miranda. Nice to speak to you again. I’m having a wonderful time with your daughter. She is a darling.”

“You better not be hurting my daughter, Damien. Or I will make Hell seem like a walk in the park.”

“We shall see about that, Miranda. Now, let us talk business.”