Chapter 15 (Tig and Alice POV)

(TIG POV)

Blood running cold, I did a once-over of the house, looking for anything that could tell me where Alice went. Finding nothing out of the ordinary, I went in and scooped Mak up. I went out onto the front step, looking around outside for any clues, growing more and more worried by each passing second.

At wit's end, I started digging for my cell when I saw Alice limping up the sidewalk towards the house. Calling to her, I ran down the steps and to the sidewalk. "Alice, are you alright?! What happened?! Where have you been?!"

"Oh, some kids were sneaking around outside the house. I went out to see what they were up to, and they tried to steal my bike! So I chased them down the street." She winced in pain.

"Did they hurt you?!" I wrapped my arm around her waist and helped her to the house.

"No, I just stepped wrong and down I went. It's my weak ankle acting up again." She flopped into a dining room chair.

"Next time, call the police or something! I thought someone took you! You left the front door wide open! Mak was screaming in her crib, all alone!" I put Mak in a playpen and turned back to Alice.

"I'm sorry, OK?! It was heat of the moment!" She rolled her eyes.

"You left your daughter alone!" I yelled.

"It was an accident! Are you saying I'm a bad mother?!" She looked at me, furious.

"You know I don't think that! Don't try to make this about something else!" I slammed my fist on the table. "You scared the hell out of me, goddammit!" I stood in front of her and rested my forehead against hers. "I can't lose you."

"I'm sorry," she whispered.

"It's over. Let's move on. We need to look at that ankle."

----------

We settled into a routine and things were going well. I was happy with where the club was at and I was enjoying my new role as family man. I was confident that I would be successful this time around.

One night, I got home late from a club meeting and Alice met me at the door. "Where were you?" she asked, obviously upset.

"Club stuff ran late," I said, nonchalantly. I tried to wrap my arms around her, hoping to take things to the bedroom.

She moved out of the way. "Why didn't you call me and tell me?"

"Lost track of time. And besides, you know club stuff comes first."

She crossed her arms over her chest. "This isn't working."

"What do you mean?" I leaned against the doorjamb.

"I can't stay home all the time. Especially if you are going to come in late more and more."

"So, you want to do what?" I raised an eyebrow.

"I want to get a job. I just need to find someone to watch Mak."

"Where will you work?"

"A bar downtown needs a bartender. I will see if Gemma or Tara will watch Mak."

"You bartend?" It dawned on me that I didn't know much about Alice's time on the run.

"I have, when I wasn't dancing." She reddened a bit.

"You were a stripper?!" I was shocked.

"Yes, for awhile. Is that a problem?" She looked at me, dignified.

"Hell, no! Why would that bother me?"

"Some men it would. I don't care to do it again."

"So, no chance of you working for the club's porn company, hmm?"