Chapter 21 (Ending 1)

"...mine. It's a boy. She named him Kai Alexander." I was lost. My family was gone. My son, that I hadn't met, was gone.

"Come on, Tig. Let's get a drink," Jax said, smacking me on the shoulder.

Halfway through my second beer, my phone rang. It was Alice. Part of me didn't want to answer. The other part wanted me to plead and beg her to come back by any means necessary. On the fourth ring, I finally decided to answer. "Hello?"

"Hi, Alex," she said, quietly.

"Hi, Alice," I answered shortly.

"I know you must be furious, but-"

"No, I'm not angry. I'm devastated. I'm broken. Alice, you took my family away. I've never seen my son!"

"I know... I'm sorry. But I don't know if I can continue living life as an old lady in a club. It's not safe. I don't know if I want that life for my kids."

"Then what do you want from me?" I asked, exhausted. "Do you want me to quit the club?"

"I would never ask that of you."

"Because I would. I can protect you, somehow. But I would leave for you. For our family."

She was silent for awhile. "Just... give me a few days with my aunt to get my head clear. I will call you in a few days. I love you."

"I love you, too." I hung up.

A few seconds later, my phone chimed. Alice sent me a picture. Opening it, I cried. Makayla and Kai were asleep together on a bed. My family. I hoped to God they would come back to me.

----------------------

About a week went by and no word from Alice. I was beginning to lose hope she would ever call. I spent my days working in the garage and my nights in a drunken stupor. I was attempting to fix someone's pickup, and was about to give up.

Someone said something about someone in the yard, so I looked up. A black limo was inching up the yard towards the shop. I wiped my hands and went into the yard to meet whoever it was.

The back door opened and two little feet hit the ground running. Makayla shot around the door and ran as fast as she could towards me. "Daddy! Daddy! Daddy Daddy!"

I scooped her up in a big hug. "It's a Mak Attack! Oh, Daddy missed you so much, baby!" I looked up to see Alice standing next to the now-closed limo door, a baby carrier next to her on the ground. I hurried over and pulled her into our hug.

"I missed you, Alex," she whispered, choking up.

"Not as much as I missed YOU," I answered.

She pulled away. Picking up the baby carrier, she turned it so I could see in. "Meet your new son."

He was perfect. So small and sleepy. She had him in a tiny reaper hat! "He's perfect, Alice. So perfect."

"Everything will be, from now on." She gave me a small smile.

"Not quite. Alice, will you marry me?" I was as nervous as I'd ever been.

"You mean it?" she asked, awestruck.

"Of course I mean it!"

"Then of course I'll say yes!"