46

Genevieve found herself laying in her mother's room that night. Her head rested against her mother's lap, eyes glued on the TV as Friends played. Her mind was somewhere else, not even laughing as Ross yelled 'Pivot!' to Chandler and Rachel as they tried to maneuver his new couch up the stairs.

Lorelei's fingers combed through her daughter's hair, equally as lost in thought. Matthew was sprawled on the floor, his head propped against a pile of pillows he made for himself. Genevieve was the one to explain the situation to Matthew after dinner. He reacted just as she expected him to, angry and ready to kick ass. But Matthew was rational, knowing better than to act impulsively. So the three of them retired to Lorelei's room, seeking comfort in the little family they had made for themselves on their own.

Genevieve sighed, turning to lay on her back, staring up at the ceiling. Lorelei rested her hand against Genevieve's forehead, her gaze falling on her daughter.

"Do you think the Council will believe us?" Genevieve asked softly. "What'll happen if they do? Or if they don't?"

Lorelei sighed, twirling a lock of Genevieve's hair between her fingers. "If they do, they'll launch an investigation against Thomas. If it's proven to be true, he will be exiled from the community. If Analise is proven innocent, she will be given the choice to stay or go with Thomas. If they don't believe us, we run the risk of losing any sort of credibility that we had to begin with. Any hope of changing their mind of keeping the community from going into hiding goes right out the window. This whole trip would have been for nothing."

"Not for nothing," Matthew said from his spot on the floor. "At least you know your sister isn't completely heartless."

"Matthew," Genevieve scolded, rolling her eyes. The boy scoffed, standing up swiftly and announced that he was going to bed. Lorelei and Genevieve quickly said goodnight before he left the room, closing the door behind him. Genevieve turned her gaze to her mother, questions bubbling in her head.

"What was it like? Growing up here?" Genevieve asked softly, her lips turned down when Lorelei sighed deeply.

"It was lonely," Lorelei gazed off, lost in her own thoughts. "I had my siblings, but we never saw eye to eye. Millicent and Cecilia were as close as can be and Thomas was off in his own world. My mother wanted me to take over, so most of my days were filled with lessons. My siblings saw our home as a playground but it was my prison. I learned the histories and laws of our people while they learned who could climb trees faster. Your father had just moved a couple towns over when we first met. When I became pregnant with you, the whole community had something to say about my life choices. My mother hid who your father was from anyone who wasn't family, worried that it would somehow ruin our status. I knew that if I stayed, you'd be raised the same way I was and I didn't want that for you. I still don't want that for you. I don't regret my choices, Genevieve. We may be magical beings, but growing up here was anything but magical."

"I'm sorry," Genevieve said softly. "I just..."

"It's okay," Lorelei leaned forward and pressed a soft kiss to Genevieve's forehead. "I'm content to where my life ended up. I love our life in Forks."

"Me too," Genevieve smiled, wavering for a moment. "I don't want to completely shut our family out. I really like Eleanor and Millicent isn't too bad. Can't we have both?"

"We can try," Lorelei sighed tiredly.

Genevieve smiled, moving to sit up. She could feel the exhaustion weigh her body down like a ton of bricks, and quickly wished her mother goodnight.

Genevieve all but collapsed in her bed after changing into her pajamas, quickly falling asleep.

So when she felt someone shaking her shoulder after what felt like only a moment of sleep, Genevieve was not in the best mood.