02

The next day, both Lorelei and Genevieve were exhausted from unpacking all day

The next day, both Lorelei and Genevieve were exhausted from unpacking all day. Lorelei had to go into town, meeting up with the rest of the police precinct, letting Genevieve sleep in with the promise of dinner that night.

When Genevieve finally rolled out of her bed - well it was just the mattress on the floor, the bedframe has yet been put together - she quickly got dressed and checked the weather from her window. She smiled, seeing the sun poke out form the clouds, the promise of no rain strong.

Leaving a note for her mother in case she returned before Genevieve, she grabbed her bike and set forth on the trail that was just behind her house.

She breathed in the crip forest air as the wind blew her dark hair behind her. The air held a warm promise of summer. Back in Chicago, she'd ride her bike down by the lake. Being in the forest brought her closer to nature than she thought she'd ever be, especially after living in the city her whole life. She followed the old, weathered signs pointing her to the beach, keeping a mental note of which way she was coming from.

When she finally reached the beach, she tried to swallow the initial disappointment that filled her heart. It was a rocky beach, the water dark, mirroring the clouds above.

Genevieve sighed, hopping off her bike to walk it closer to the water. She could taste the salt in the air, a warm reminder that she was next to the ocean now, not the lake.

She saw a group of boys playing football to her right, choosing to ignore them as she headed towards a large log near the water. Genevieve noted that they were all shirtless, rolling her eyes at the thought. Sure, summer had just started, but it was no where near warm enough to be walking around without a shirt.

"Hey, watch out!" Genevieve turned towards the boys, letting out a squeal when the football collided with her face, the force knocking her down to the ground. Genevieve cursed, rubbing her nose where the football had hit her square on.

"Shit, I'm sorry! When Paul said 'go long' none of us thought he meant that literally." The boy ran up to Genevieve, chuckling nervously as he approached her. "Are you okay?"

Genevieve glanced up at him. He was lean, his muscles defined but not bulking like some of the other boys he was with. His black hair was cropped short and pushed out of his face. His dark brown eyes were laced with worry, his lips pulled into a frown. Genevieve noted that they all shared the same russet skin, a stark contrast to the rest of the Forks population.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I just wasn't expecting to get nailed in the face by a football." Genevieve smiled lightly, letting the boy know she was joking. He sighed in relief, offering a hand. Genevieve took it, letting him pull her up off the sand. His hand was warm, almost to an uncomfortable degree.

"I'm Embry." He smiled, boyish and sweet that would usually have Genevieve swooning. "I haven't seen you around before."

"I'm Genevieve. My mom and I just moved to Forks yesterday," Genevieve shrugged, stuffing her hands in the back pockets of her jeans.