08

If someone told Genevieve that she'd be sitting in the kitchen of a werewolf, becoming friend with said werewolf's girlfriend while befriending two other wolves (and definitely not flirting with one of them), she'd think you'd lost your mind

But here she was; sitting at Emily's kitchen table, laughing at something Paul had said, leaning into Seth as she did.

Genevieve did not like the way Seth laughed with his whole body; the way his shoulders would move as he threw his head back, his hands lifting to his stomach. Genevieve also did not like how warm Seth was; she'd never need a blanket if he was around. Genevieve also did not like the way Seth's smile made her heart skip a beat in her chest.

She also did not like how she had to sit pressed against him in Emily's car because they had to squeeze in to fit everything for the bonfire.

Nope. She did not like it at all.

"You know, the last time I was at a bonfire was when we burned all our papers from freshman year," Genevieve commented as she and Seth set up the plates and napkins on the foldout table.

"Well you've never been to one like this. The tribe elders are going to be telling the stories of our tribe." Seth hesitated, "it's pretty much a council meeting."

Genevieve paused, looking over at Seth. "A council meeting? Are you sure it's okay that I'm here?"

Seth reached over to put his hand on her shoulder.

She did not like how warm his hand was nor the comfort it brought her.

"Trust me, it's okay that you're here." He smiled gently, his face soft as he reassured her.

"More okay for you to be here than Bella," Paul commented as he walked by with the burgers.

Genevieve frowned, "what's that supposed to mean?" She knew some of the guys weren't too fond of Bella, but that didn't mean she was going to let them hate on her when she wasn't there to defend herself.

"Nothing, nothing," Paul raised his hands in mock surrender.

Genevieve turned to Seth, narrowing his eyes at the guilty expression on his face. "What did Paul mean, Seth?"

"I don't know." Seth shrugged, trying to remain casual as he refused to look her in the eye. 

"You're a terrible liar," Genevieve scoffed. "Fine, keep your secrets. I'm used to people not telling me anything."

Genevieve shook her head, all but stomping away from Seth, towards where Emily was standing as she built the fire. The sun was beginning to set, apparently everyone would be here at sundown, which meant the air was getting colder.

"This is a council meeting?" She asked, crossing her arms as she looked at Emily. The older woman glanced up at Genevieve.

"They're just telling the stories tonight, Evie. It's no big deal. Besides, it's Seth and Leah's first time hearing them too."