17

"Hey, it's Lorelei. Sorry I missed your call, but leave a message and I'll get back to you!"

Genevieve took a shaky breath, her grip on her phone tightening. "Mom, it's me. Again. Just ... call me back when you get this. Please."

Genevieve hugged her knees to her chest as she sat on one of the lawn chairs in her backyard. Jasper had called the rest of the Cullens and Bella had called Jacob to tell the pack. They were patrolling the area, searching for any sign of Victoria. Bella was at home with her father, leaving Genevieve alone in her house.

"Evie!" Genevieve glanced up, her shoulders relaxed when she saw Seth running towards her from the woods. "Are you okay?"

Genevieve shrugged, leaning into Seth as he sat down next to her. She curled herself into him, letting the warmth of his body engulf her, like a safety blanket.

"A crazy vampire broke into my home and my mom is MIA. I'm doing just peachy." Genevieve scoffed, resting her head on Seth's shoulder, closing her eyes as he rubbed her arm. She took a deep breath, finally feeling like she was able to relax. 

"Everything will be fine, Evie. You'll see, things have a way of working out in the end."

Genevieve lifted her head to shoot Seth a skeptical look.

"What else is bothering you?" Genevieve frowned, surprised he was able to tell. "Your face says it all, Evie."

"There was an incident tonight at the Cullens," Genevieve sighed and quickly explained what had happened.

"Well, Jasper's right. You're not a dangerous person. You'd never hurt a fly."

Genevieve rolled her eyes, "you don't know that."

"I know you, and you'd never hurt someone who didn't deserve it."

Genevieve let herself smile, her heart skipping a beat at the look Seth was giving her. His face was soft, dark eyes filled with an emotion she couldn't pinpoint.

"Oh, hey!" Seth's face brightened, a sheepish grin on his lips as he pulled away slightly. "I know this probably isn't the best time, all things considered, but I figured you'd need something to cheer you up. Close your eyes. And hold out your hands."

Genevieve raised an eyebrow at him, but complied. She bit her lip when she felt something be placed in her hand.

"Okay, open."

Genevieve felt her breath leave her as she stared at the necklace in her hand. It was a leather choker with a small wooden wolf hanging delicately. Genevieve noticed that the wolf was hand carved, making her stomach do flips. "Did you carve this?"

"Yeah," Seth was thankful that it was too dark for Genevieve to see the blush on his cheeks. "It's nothing."

"It's not nothing, it's perfect." Genevieve closed her fingers around the necklace, pulling it close to her. "I love it. Thank you, Seth." She reached out with her free hand, resting it against Seth's cheek. "Thank you for the beautiful necklace and for being here for me. You're always there for me." Genevieve leaned in, brushing her nose against Seth's before kissing him softly. Seth cupped her face in his hands, pulling her closer.

Genevieve sunk into the kiss. She could taste chocolate as their lips met, her head fuzzy as she breathed in the woodsy scent radiating from him.

"Evie," Seth breathed as he pulled away from her, moving his hands from her face to grasp her shoulders. Genevieve tried to steady her breathing, licking her lips as she opened her eyes. She frowned at the serious look he was giving her. "There's something I need to tell you."