23

Genevieve's leg bounced nervously as she stared out the window. She and her mother were on their way to Emily's home where Genevieve would be spending the night. Lorelei would staying at home, keeping an eye on Chief Swan since Bella couldn't convince him to leave town for a fishing trip.

Alice had predicted that the army would be arriving within the next day, which meant that everyone would be getting ready that night. Jacob would carry Bella up to the campsite so the newborns couldn't track her scent, and then spend the night keeping watch with Edward. Genevieve laughed when she heard Jacob and Edward were going to be forced to spend time together, knowing all too well how much they loathed each other.

The next morning, Seth would go and be with Bella and Edward on the mountain. Sam thought it would be good for the couple to have a link to the fight, just in case, and asking Seth to do it alleviated his want to be part of the action while still keeping him a safe distance away.

It still made Genevieve nervous to know that Seth was going to be so close to danger. If they were right, then Victoria would be coming after Bella. And in the case that Jacob's scent didn't mask Bella's as well as everyone thought, then they'd be leading Victoria right to Bella.

"Your wolf will be fine, Gen."

Genevieve turned to look at her mother before sighing. "An army of vampires is coming into town. Said army is being led by a revenge-driven vampire who has evaded every attempt to stop her and has decided that she wants me too." Genevieve shook her head, "excuse me for being a bit worried."

"Worrying is natural. No one can fault you for worrying about those you care about," Lorelei sighed as she glanced at her daughter. "But worrying isn't going to change anything."

Genevieve sighed, knowing her mother was right. That didn't help calm her nerves though. The rest of the ride was silent, neither of them saying a word until they made it to Emily's house.

"I'll pick you up in a couple days," Lorelei reached over and took her daughter's hand. "Promise me you won't go looking for trouble."

"I never go looking for trouble," Genevieve rolled her eyes. "I'll be careful, I promise."

"You sure you don't want to stay home with me?"

"You can't protect me and Chief Swan. Besides, Jasper said the vampires won't want to come near the reservation since it smells like the wolves. I won't have to worry about the army here."

Lorelei sighed, reaching over to pull her daughter into a hug. Genevieve buried her face into her mother's shoulder, taking a moment to sink into her mother's embrace. "I love you, Genevieve."

"I love you too, mom. I'll see you soon, I promise."

Lorelei nodded, letting her daughter go. Genevieve took one last look at her mother before climbing out of the car, heading towards Emily's house.

"Genevieve!" Emily's face brightened when she answered the door, pulling in the younger girl into a tight embrace. "Come on in. I hope you don't mind, I'm watching my niece this weekend."

"Uh, no of course not." Genevieve barely made one step into the home before a tiny figure threw itself at her legs. She gasped, thankful Emily was there to keep her steady.

"Mermaid!" Genevieve stared down at the toddler that barely came up to her knees. She was dressed in a pink shirt and overalls that were stained with grass at the knees. Her dark hair was pulled up into pigtails that were nowhere near being as put together as when they were done. Her big, brown eyes sparkled with wonder as she stared up at Genevieve.

"Mermaid?" Genevieve glanced at Emily who was watching with an amused expression.

"You know the guys like to joke around," Emily shrugged. "I'm pretty sure it was Paul who started calling you a mermaid, and it sort of made an impression on Claire."