24

Genevieve had spent the night in Sam and Emily's spare room. Seth stayed with her, holding her close as they squeezed onto the small bed together. She spent most of the night staring at the ceiling as she listened to the steady breathing of the boy next to her. How Seth managed to sleep at all baffled Genevieve. She was so anxious that she couldn't sleep at all; her mind creating scenario after scenario of what could possibly happen the next day.

Seth carried her all the way up the mountain the next morning, holding her bridal style. She held onto him tightly the entire way, burying her face into his chest. The two didn't say much the whole way, the air thick around them. Genevieve didn't know what to say; they were doing this for her safety. If Seth got hurt it would be because he was protecting her. She didn't know what she'd do if he got hurt because of her.

"We're here," Seth said softly. Gently, he set her down on the snow covered ground. Genevieve wrapped her arms around herself, glad she had worn a thicker coat and her snow boots. "Wait here for me, I'll be right back."

Genevieve nodded, watching as he disappeared behind a tree. She felt her stomach jump when a large wolf appeared moments later. Genevieve had never seen Seth in his wolf form, or any of the others really. She never expected them to be the size of bears.

Seth approached her slowly, his ears down as his brown eyes watched her carefully. Genevieve reached out, her hand feeling incredibly small as she rested it on Seth's head. His sandy fur was soft to the touch. Genevieve relaxed as he pressed his head against her torso, which she noted were probably the same size.

Genevieve stuck close to his side as Seth began to walk towards the edge of the mountain, where a small camp had been set up. Genevieve stepped forward as they approached a tent, the flap opening to reveal Bella.

"Genevieve!" Bella breathed, moving forward quickly to wrap the younger girl in a tight embrace, one hand cradling the back of Genevieve's head. Genevieve wrapped her arms around Bella just as tight, overwhelmed with the feeling of understanding that passed through the both of them.

They were in this together.

Bella and Genevieve pulled away from each other, Bella keeping a firm hold on Genevieve's hand.

Genevieve glanced at Edward, who had approached the tent while the two girls were hugging. He seemed distraught, but otherwise collected considering the circumstances. He threw a smile towards the younger girl, Genevieve straining to return it.

"Where's Jacob? Did he already leave?" Bella asked, turning towards Edward.

"Not yet. He's checking to see if the woods are clear before he goes," Edward said.

"They were clear when we got here," Genevieve commented. Seth let out a snort of agreement, nudging Genevieve's arm with his head. Genevieve glanced at Seth, lifting her free hand to brush against his fur. He nodded his head to the side. Genevieve glanced back at the couple, immediately feeling like she was intruding on a moment.

She squeezed Bella's hand before letting it go, following Seth to let the couple have a moment alone.

Genevieve leaned against Seth, sighing deeply. "More love triangle drama?" She sighed again when Seth nodded his head, pursing her lips. "I feel bad for Bella. She's being put in the middle and it's not fair to her or her feelings." She rested her head against Seth's shoulder, feeling his fur tickle the side of her face.

"You know, if it wasn't for the army of newborn vampires coming after us, I could sit and enjoy this view forever." Genevieve sighed, staring out to the snow-covered mountain range. Living in the midwest all her life, Genevieve was used to seeing flat land as far as the eye could see. Mountains were a foreign concept to her, a beauty that she felt she'd never get sick of.

Seth gave a huff, causing Genevieve to move away from him. "What is it?"

Seth didn't answer, walking back towards where they left Bella and Edward. Genevieve followed closely behind. Seth stopped in front of Edward while Genevieve moved next to Bella.

"It's starting." Edward announced, looking at the two girls.

Genevieve felt her heart sink in her chest, her hand finding Bella's arm. Bella moved closer to Genevieve, tucking the younger girl under her arm. Genevieve glanced from Edward to Seth, dread filling every fiber of her being.

Edward's face dropped, eyes widening as he listened to Seth's thoughts, linking to the fight.

"Someone's hurt?" Bella asked, holding Genevieve tighter.

"She's close! I can hear her thoughts," Edward snarled. Geneveive choked on a gasp, her hands clinging to Bella's flannel tightly. "Seth go!"

Seth let out a low growl, sending a short glance towards Genevieve before running into the woods. Bella pulled Genevieve with her as she ran to Edward's side. Edward wrapped an arm around Bella, pulling the two close to him.

"She knew we weren't there. She caught my scent," Edward shook his head, disappointed in himself. "She knew you'd be with me. Genevieve, I'm sorry. I dragged you into this. I should've never suggested you come here with us."

"She found us," Bella gasped. Genevieve pressed herself closer to Bella, her heartbeat echoing in her ears.

"She's not alone."

Genevieve held in a gasp as the boy from her mother's missing person case emerged from the woods. The intruder who threatened her life walked menacingly towards them, his crimson eyes locked on the trio.

Edward pushed Bella and Genevieve behind him. "Riley, listen to me. Victoria's just using you to distract me. She knows I'll kill you."

Genevieve and Bella jumped when the tree in front of them shook, snow falling from the branches. Genevieve felt her heart stop as she stared at Victoria's crouched figure. She felt Bella's grip tightened as they watched Victoria's crimson eyes seem to light up slightly when they landed on Genevieve, like a child on Christmas. Victoria's expression quickly hardened as she turned her attention to Edward.

"In fact, she'll be glad she doesn't have to deal with you anymore."

"Don't listen, Riley. I told you about their mind tricks," Victoria turned her attention to Riley. Her voice was almost soft. Genevieve flinched at the sound, remembering the night Victoria attacked her vividly.

"I can read her mind," Edward said calmly. His extended his arm out, shielding Bella as she sank further behind him. Bella moved her grip on Genevieve so the younger girl was placed behind her, almost completely out of Victoria's view. "So I know what she thinks of you."

"He's lying," Victoria shook her head.

"She only created you and this army to avenge her true mate, James." Riley's eyebrows furrowed and Genevieve knew that Edward was creating enough doubt in Riley to hopefully make him stop and think about what he was doing. "It's the only thing she cares about. Not you."

Riley looked over at Victoria. Victoria faltered, forcing herself to meet Riley's eyes. "There's only you." Genevieve could hear the slight shake in Victoria's voice, knowing that Riley had must have caught it too. "You know that."

"Think about it. You're from Forks. You know the area. That's the only reason she chose you. You don't matter to her." Edward's voice was firm as he kept his gaze on both Riley and Victoria. Genevieve closed her eyes for a minute, leaving her head against Bella's shoulder as she tried to steady her erratic heart. Her hands clenched Bella's flannel tighter, letting the smooth fabric and warmth coming from Bella ground her.

"Riley, don't let him do this to us." Victoria's face had softened, so much that Genevieve almost believed the words coming out of her mouth. Genevieve lifted her head, peering slightly from behind Bella to watch the scene unfold, a pit in her stomach when she realized how everything was going to turn out. "You know I love you."

Riley clenched his jaw, taking a few steps forward as he stared at Edward. His face smoothed with conviction.

"You're dead."