04

Genevieve sulked as she slouched in the passenger seat of her mother's car. Her backpack resting in her lap as she glared out into the world.

Genevieve Ceto was not a morning person.

"Do I really have to start school now? It's almost the end of the year anyway, there's no point." Genevieve grumbled, glancing at her mother.

"Eve, we've talked about this. Your education is important and nothing is going to change that. As long as you live under my roof, you are going to go to school." Lorelei glanced at her daughter, turning her attention back to the road. "Now remember, Chief Swan's daughter, Bella, is going to drive you home today. Chief Swan wants me to work on a missing kid report; apparently his parents are going crazy over their son. Not to mention there's a lot of other missing people reports around the area outside of Forks."

"You think they're all connected?" Genevieve frowned. A missing persons report wasn't uncommon in Chicago, so uncommon that her mother rarely ever had to deal with them as a detective in the city since they got passed down to the newer recruits on the force. She guessed people don't usually go missing in small towns like Forks; this must've been a big deal.

"I can't rule out that possibility, Eve. Especially when they're all disappearing at the same time. Chief Swan said Seattle PD is going to come down today to discuss the case with us." Lorelei sighed, "I'm going to be home late. I left money in my desk so you can order pizza or something. Please, Eve, no exploring today. Be smart."

"Sure, mom. Don't worry about me," Genevieve reached over and took her mom's hand. Lorelei sighed as she turned into the high school, putting the car in park in front, and turned towards her daughter.

"Have a good day, baby. Call me if you need anything."

Genevieve smiled, "I will mom, don't worry. I'll see you when you get home. Love you!" She reached over to kiss her mom quickly on the cheek before jumping out of the car.

"Love you too, Eve!"

Genevieve closed the door, watching her mom drive off before taking a look around.

Forks High School was nothing special; it was broken up into buildings, meaning she'd have to go outside to walk to her classes. She could easily identify the cliques as they all stood around the cars or in the front of the school. She wondered who'd decide to try and 'adopt' the new girl into their group.

Oh, and of course, everyone was trying to be discreet about staring at her. Small town high school gets a new girl - of course everyone was staring.

Her attention snapped away from the students as two people on a motorcycle rode past her. She frowned, swearing that one of the people looked like one of the guys she met on the beach. Was it Paul? Or maybe that was Jacob? I thought they didn't go to school here.

Her eyes turned to where the bike came from, her frown deepening when she saw Edward standing alone, looking distraught. Until his honey eyes met hers, then his expression changed, and if she hadn't seen the look that was just on his face, Genevieve would've believed the calm and collected look.

She sighed, gripping the straps of her backpack as she walked towards Edward. "You okay?"

Edward pursed his lips, "of course. It's just a complication, everything will be fine. How was your weekend?"

"Nice topic change," Genevieve commented dryly. "I'm sure you can imagine how my weekend went. A lot of unpacking and trying to figure out what there is to do in this town. I met your brother yesterday though." Genevieve smiled, ignoring the nagging voice in her head that reminded her of Emmett's behavior once he dropped her off at home.