43

The first thing Genevieve did the next morning was call Seth

The first thing Genevieve did the next morning was call Seth. She laid in bed, swaddled by the blankets and pillows as she listened to him tell her about how boring his patrol was the night before.

"There's nothing to look for anymore. I know it's a good thing, but it's sooo boring. Sam could at least make patrols less often, it's not like we need them around the clock anymore."

Genevieve laughed, rolling her eyes at how dramatic her boyfriend was being. "I'm sorry life can't always be action packed. I'm sure Sam will chill with patrols soon. To be fair, he's probably just being cautious - from what Bella and Jacob have told me, there's always been one threat after another."

"I know," Seth sighed over the phone. "Do I dare ask how Maine is?"

Genevieve sighed, turning to stare up at the ceiling. "People here suck." She huffed when Seth laughed. "I'm serious! I almost got into it with my aunt yesterday because she was being a complete ass about-" Genevieve stopped, hesitating for a moment. "About you. About us. She's so narrow minded. She just got under my skin and I snapped."

"I'm sorry. She sounds like a piece of garbage."

"She is," Genevieve snorted. "I lost control because of her," she added softly. "I got angry and shattered like a million glasses during dinner. You should've seen the way they were looking at me. Like they didn't know if they should start worshiping me or run away screaming." Genevieve sighed, rubbing her temple with her free hand. She wanted nothing more than to go back home and cuddle with Seth under the blankets of her own bed. "Everyone here has said that they could feel the power in me. I don't even know what that's supposed to mean."

"Matthew said that to you when you met him too," Seth pointed out. "Evie I don't know. It sounds like a lot of pressure they're trying to put on your shoulders."

"Yeah, no kidding. As if trying to change the Council's mind about going into hiding wasn't enough." Genevieve took a deep breath, shaking her head softly. "I wish you were here."

"Me too," Seth said, his voice soft. "But I know why I can't be. Leah told me how they're treating Matthew over there, and he's one of them. You need to focus on the Council, not the way that the people are treating me or Matthew. Once you get the Council on your side, then you can focus on everyone else."

"I know, but it's hard." Genevieve sat up when there was a soft knock at her door. "I gotta go. I'll talk to you later though, right?"

"Of course. I'm here whenever you need me, Evie. I love you."

"I love you too," Genevieve smiled as she climbed out of bed, making her way to the door. "Bye, Seth."

She opened the bedroom door as soon as she hung up the phone, smiling politely when she saw her uncle on the other side.