Chapter XXIX

“Are you sure she won’t need a doctor?” Mum’s worried voice broke into my dreams and I slowly started to leave them behind.

“She’ll be fine. I promise.” Danny told her.

Slowly opening my eyes, I was in my room and the afternoon sun sent a deep orange glow in through the windows. All I wanted to do was stretch and it felt amazing to wiggle my toes.

“See!” I heard Danny say. “Afternoon sleepy head.”

I didn’t want to be awake. I was so comfortable and happy where I was I simply grunted and rolled over.

“Hungry?”

My stomach rumbled on it’s own accord and I slowly turned to face him and Mum, who looked relieved. “Yeah.”

“Go take a shower, we’ll see you in the kitchen.” Danny smiled and after trying to close my eyes to go back to sleep, I was now wide awake and starving.

By the time I got down stairs, Danny was picking at what ever Mum was slicing and getting close enough, seeing him pick up a raw slither of meat, my stomach churned as he ate it. Then another, before Mum swatted his hand away.

“Want some?” He offered.

“No! It’s raw!”

“So?”

Danny was right. So what if it was raw - wasn’t that my new preference for this kind of thing? Instead I went to the fridge and found leftovers from last nights dinner; a casserole of some kind and quickly put it in the microwave. The hum of the food being heated was the only sound in the house since Mum stopped chopping and no one was talking.

The smell of the gravy sauce started to filter through the kitchen, and taking a deep breath, it’s all I could smell. There wasn’t Danny’s scent or any trace of Mums perfume. I couldn’t even tell if Dad was home. As soon as the beep signalling the food was done sounded, I had a fork in my hand and was devouring my meal like it was my last.

“Sarah?” Danny asked.

“What?” I mumbled with my mouth full.

“You feeling, okay?”

Did I feel okay? I felt normal. I couldn’t hear anything outside of this room, there wasn’t a million different smells for my brain to try and decipher and I was left feeling like I had the best sleep of my life, with all ‘urges’ gone.

“I’m great. Fine. Perfectly normal!” I grinned.

“How do you mean?” Mum asked, slowly coming to sit beside me at the table.

“The werewolf stuff, it feels like it’s gone!” Maybe I was cured.

“No, I can still sense your presence.” Danny had to ruin the moment. “But you feel okay otherwise?”

“Yeah. My hearing isn’t so sensitive anymore, same with my sense of smell.” I shrug.

“Maybe it’s just taking a break?”

“What did you do last night Danny?” Mum wasn’t exactly asking. Her voice was too high for that.

“When Sarah went into one of her little moods, I got her to change, but through me. All of her energy kind of took over and she forced the shift to happen, as well as being the one controlling my movements.”

“She what?” Mum practically screamed in the same instance I asked, ‘I did?’

“You don’t remember?” Danny asked me, ignoring Mum for the moment.