Chapter I

Not much ever happened in Flame Tree Bay. It was the quintessential country town with one road in and one road out. Vineyards and rolling green paddocks surrounded our population of a thousand, with herds of black and white cattle always by the road to welcome you back or say goodbye. Drive ten minutes south, you’d find yourself at the beach with the Indian Ocean at your feet and if you went four hours north, you'd find yourself in the big city.

If you didn't farm, you were a part of the tourism industry and for my friends and I, getting out and moving north was the main goal. I loved the Bay, but knew I wasn't supposed to stay here forever. Just like the tourists that come and go during the summer.

"Honey, have you seen the ad Mrs Johns put up in her window yesterday? You know it will guarantee you work in the peak season!"  Mum swooped the second I entered the kitchen for breakfast.

Summer jobs were big business around here. If you got in early enough, you could get something easy that paid well like a cushy retail job with Mrs Johns. The only time people went into her clothing store was during the winter months when the prices weren't hitched up to match the tourist season. If you left the job search too late, you'd be stuck working in one of the restaurants or cafes where you really earned your money thanks to long hours and rude out of towners.

"Isn't Jasmine guaranteed that?" Favoritism also ran riot amongst the locals and Jasmine Baker had a lot to thank her Mayor mother for.

"No love, she's out of here until November. She left last weekend on that Europe trip!"

How could I have forgotten? It's all anyone had been able to talk about for weeks. While we were dealing with a winter cold that hadn't moved on, even though Spring took over the calendar, she was going to be enjoying the last of the European summer.

"Oh that's right! Yeah, maybe I'll put in an application then."

The front door slammed shut and heavy steps had the old wooden floorboards of our hallway creaking as my brother Danny came in. "What are you applying for?"

He didn't look at either of us, going straight to the fridge and grabbing the bottle of juice, Mum groaned as he took a gulp. "Come on Dan, I raised you better than that!"

"Whatever." He retorted, proceeding to burp loudly. "What are you applying for?"

It was more an order than a question and sometimes even I find it hard to imagine that we're not only related, but twins. We had the same dark hair; inherited from our dad, but that was about as far as any resemblance went.

"Since you asked so nicely, Mrs. Johns shop is hiring for Summer. Are you going to pick up that apprenticeship Baz has at the garage?" I carried on eating my cereal, not letting his attitude bother me.

The only thing that Danny showed any interest in was cars and Baz had always supported my brother with this. The fact Danny's best friend was also Baz's son probably helped. Thanks to his lack of social skills and respect for his elders, few of the locals were willing to take a chance on Danny.

"We talked." He answered roughly, and as he came by me, the distinct smell of pot hung off his clothes. Mum was going to flip if she got a whiff of that.

"Talked? Danny, why didn't you say anything?" The second she left her place by the toaster her face scrunched up in disgust. "What is that smell?"

He sniffed his jumper and shrugged, "Laters."

"Were you out all night?" Mum chased after him and the argument that was bound to follow was no surprise. Instantly she bombarded him with questions that we had all heard a hundred times before.