Chapter XXIV

I sat quietly between Michael and Nanna, letting them talk out what was going to happen and when with everyone else. I just wanted Danny back and since things were finally moving, I kept my thoughts to myself to avoid arguments and delays. Listening wasn’t actually a bad thing to do. Despite telling Nanna, well, everything, she had left out a few details to her friends so once they sorted out where Danny was, that’s where the focus went to.

“So why would he want Sarah and Danny? What’s got him interested in twins?” Will asked, looking my way in an attempt to bring me into the conversation.

“He has some idea’s, but he’ll be disappointed to learn there is no truth to it.” Nanna answered instead.

Looking at Michael, he took my hand under the table and squeezed it.

“What kind of idea’s?” Karen pushed.

“Psychic links and other nonsense. I think he’s been watching too many sci-fi movies.”

No one spoke, instead all eyes turned to me now.

“Why would he think that?” The scary, big guy snarled, leaning his elbows on the table.

“She fainted when Danny changed for the first time. My Dad got this crazy idea that she and Danny could connect to each other and he had pushed his pain onto her.” Michael told them. “He’s hoping it will get him back into the pack.”

“Why would they ever think that is even possible?” Will sounded more amazed than anything else, and thoughtful.

“Because it happened before. One of the boys didn’t survive the change and they both died. He knows he can use this to get back in.”

“But for him to think that, surely he tested it a little more? It’s a big gamble.” Don added.

Everyone nodded and I glanced down to find Nanna’s hands in her lap, twisting the corner of her shirt over and over again.

“He did.” Michael nodded. “Dannys best mate, Jake, was turned last full moon. Dads plan was to also change Sarah then so he’d be able to offer Scott the pair of them as wolves. No one told either of us what had happened, and Danny was feeling guilty; trying to talk Jake out of it. When we found out the pair of them had gone off with my brothers, we rushed home hoping to stop it. Danny heard our car and warned them we were coming.”

“Instead, he thought Danny had told me via this ‘link’ and that’s why we came to stop them so quickly.” I finished, knowing where this story was going.

“That explains it then.” Noah joined in. “As soon as your Nan told you Danny had gone with Jake and the Blakes, you two were out of there!”

Nanna stopped fiddling with her shirt.

“Exactly.” Michael nodded.

“Your father must be a desperate man then, to try this.” Will concluded as he leant back into his chair and the heat was off our story as everyone seemed to drop their guard now.

“Yes, and Scott will probably end up killing him.” Now I squeezed Michael’s hand.

“That doesn’t bother you? He is your father?”

“He hasn’t been my father for a long time. I might not be able to do it, but he’s had it coming!” He answered coldly.

“What about that incident with Ben?” Karen suddenly piped up.

“What?” I answered dumbly.

“You clearly know Mrs. Attwell and her granddaughter is just as much of a force to be reckoned with when she’s unhappy about something.” Michael played it off simply, even daring to smile. “Sarah is not one of us, even humans can intimidate weak wolves.”