Chapter XX

Helena, Rachelle and Annabelle fought for space around the mirror as they got ready for the party. Filled with confidence that only a new hairstyle can bring,  my cousin decided being here wasn’t so bad and was nearly as excited as Rachelle about going out tonight. The music was turned up and it helped make it that much easier to mistake us for a bunch of teens with no other worries in the world other than, does this lipstick match my dress?

Wendi and Peta had to work, that family slave labour contract once again ruining their social plans and since Becky was out of town, it only left us three, now four. Danny was staying at Jakes. His parents were going to be as the same gathering as mine, so they were using it as a chance for him to get adjusted to being home and their hunting trip went smoothly. Sleep and raw meat seemed like the werewolf equivalent of chicken soup and old movies did for the rest of us and Jake was nearly back to normal. 

Well, as normal as he could be now.

“I’ve missed you guys. I hate having to go out of town at Christmas!” Helena finished with the eyeliner and took a seat beside me on the bed. “So what’s been happening? Is Danny coming tonight?”

I tried not to roll my eyes. “No, he’s not. Doing something with Jake.”

“That’s a shame. I was hoping he’d be my midnight kiss.” She giggled. “Speaking of, I was talking to Sally at work yesterday and she asked me who the hottie with my friend Sarah was at the Carols?”

Rachelle turned to face us now, her eyes lighting up with mischief. “Oh Hels, you’ve missed out on soo much! Our little Sarah has bagged herself our convict friend!”

This time I rolled my eyes.

“No! What happened to being anti-Blake boys? Sarah!” She slapped my arm and Rachelle filled her in on our date. “So, will he be there tonight?”

“Um, no. He’s got other stuff on and it was just one date!” I protest.

“No, not true. You’ve been spotted all over town with him. Morning runs, he’s seen you at work and helped you with your groceries!” Helena started to lecture like my own PI. 

“Nanna did say he was your boyfriend. Why are you lying about it now Sarah?” Annabelle threw into the mix.

“Nanna also had to blackmail me into that date with the promise of making sure I was one of Debs bridesmaids if I didn’t!”

That made her laugh. “Yeah, but if you didn’t want to go, you wouldn’t have. You don’t seem to have an issue in sticking up for yourself with them!”

“She has a point. You can be real stubborn Sar!” Rachelle argued.

“I hate you all!” Getting up I went downstairs to get a drink, and for a second it was hard to hear anything other than the rumble of thunder.

All day the storm had sat off the coast. The weather bureau didn’t think it was going to bring rain, but a thunderstorm alert was out so hopefully the Rivers weren’t planning on the party being outdoors only. As another clap had the windows shaking, someone upstairs squealed before a fit of giggles followed.

I was about to go back upstairs when the front door opened the same second more thunder sounded. Now it was me who squealed and Danny burst out laughing. “Oh that was classic. Who did you think it was? The Candy Man?” 

“Worse, it’s a werewolf and his sidekick!” I answered dryly.

“Um, did you want to go finish getting dressed?” Danny shut the door and pushed Jake into the living room in the same movement and I looked down to see black dress I had on.