Chapter XXII

Clinking metal is the first thing that registers in my mind, quickly followed by how much my head hurts. I’m pretty sure I’m not moving, yet there is no denying the swaying motion of whatever is below me. Opening my eyes, I’m not sure if I actually did, because there is only darkness; then I see the light filtering in from the opposite side to me.

I think I’m in a van.

Looking up hurts, and as we go over a bump in the road, my head hits the floor making me cry out in even more pain.

“It’s okay Sarah, don’t panic.” Michael tells me, his voice strained yet oddly calm.

With a grunt of effort I roll onto my side, which may have been easier if not for the rope around my wrists and ankles. I feel like I’m in a bad movie, and looking behind me, the metals sounds are coming from him as thick chains keep Michael against the back. Then I notice the one around his neck.“Are-” I cough, before trying to talk again. “Are you okay?”

“Wasn’t silver, and it was just a graze. I’ll be fine.” He assures me.

Half of his face is in shadow, so I can’t be sure if he is even telling the truth. I leave the blanket I had been laying on, and crawl over to him. His hand instantly cups my face and he cringes as he looks me over.

“That is gonna hurt for a while, Bright Eyes.”

“I already worked that part out.”

Michael shifts into a less awkward sitting position, before bringing me with him so I’m curled up in his lap. Somehow, this actually makes me feel safe.

“This is what I didn’t want happening.” He mumbles, going for the rope I’m soon free of the restraints. “I never thought the old man would do something like this though.”

The sense of betrayal is obvious and so I just hold him, wishing I could tell him everything was going to fine, but I couldn’t. I didn’t know what was going to happen next.

“I should have known, the way he was talking to Scott was too familiar. He’d clearly set this up and it was why he was hoping to change you when Jake was. That way he’d have you and Danny ready for him, and Scott would have to pay attention. Now, he’s just getting desperate.”

“What is so good about me and Danny?”

“Your bond. It seems a little far fetched, but highly likely.” He holds his breath, moving his leg slightly as I realise I’d been leaning against it. “When we’re in wolf form, that’s it. We have to fight to keep thinking human and communication is based on body language; we can’t talk to one another.”

“But Danny and I can.” I finish.

“That makes you dangerous, it’s like separating apes from humans. You got the better skills, strength, and all that, but still think completely human. Smart, logical; it would give you an advantage in any situation that you were together in.”

“So, is that why he now wants us dead?”

“No, maybe, if he can’t control you, yes. It’s hard to tell who is a werewolf and who isn’t. We rely on smell a lot, more than we even did before we were changed and in human form, we don’t smell like our wolves. There are subtle signs you might pick up, but unless they’re with you - carry the pack scent, it’s hard to know. As a wolf, we leave no human dna behind either.”

This still wasn’t making much sense to me. “I’m sorry, I don’t understand.”

“How do you think he can get away with so much, why there are never any leads or evidence? He uses the wolves. If anyone does catch a glimpse of a dog running away from a crime scene or if a suspect was mauled in a vicious dog attack - that’s it. You don’t see crime reports going to the media describing the suspect as a wolf like dog who is wanted over drug charges do you?”