Chapter VI

Smiling nicely at customers is part of my job. In fact, the customer service aspect of my day is something I actually enjoy. That was until Mrs Johns nudges me with her plump arm, and points at the door where the last person I wanted to see has walked in.

“He’s such a nice young man, don’t you think?” She gushes, sharing a knowing smile with the grey haired lady in front of me.

“No.” I mumble, still able to smile and hand the customer the brown paper bag with an over priced scarf in. “Have a great day!”

“You too-” She pauses to read my name badge. “Sarah!”

“He’s not a nice young man?” Mrs Johns whispers to me frowning. “But I saw your brother with, oh!”

She puts two and two together. I don’t like him. Danny hangs around his family and so that must mean he is bad news too. For once I don’t care about my siblings reputation as it’s working in my favour. Hopefully now I won't have to listen to her carry on about how I need a ‘nice young man’ and how my pretty face won’t last forever. I’m seventeen; not twenty-seven or even thirty-seven, though as she reminds me constantly, my birthday is quickly approaching.

Her eyes narrow at him from behind purple framed glasses, before watching him walk around her store like he’s about to try shoplifting. If he fancies anything relating to womens apparel, then she might be justified, but Michael looks out of place surrounded by shoes of varying styles and colours. It’s been a week, and apart from his nightly visits, the Blakes have kept their distance and left us, well Danny alone.

As he picks up a pair of sunglasses that would make even his big head look small, Mrs Johns huffs in building anger. It’s amazing how quickly someone’s opinion can change due to others. “He has no reason to be in here, I’m going to-”

“I got this.” I assure her, patting her arm gently.

I leave the counter and approach him, void of my welcoming smile. “Lost?”

“Just browsing.” He answers casually.

“For ladies sunglasses?”

Michael half smiles, hanging up the eyewear on the stand before turning to face me. “That’s why I’m just browsing.”

His arms lazily fold across his chest, and he rocks back on his heels, unbothered by the glare I’m sending his way. Even Mrs Johns mumbling her disapproval doesn’t phase him.

“What do you want Michael?” I sigh, wanting him gone as soon as possible.

“Hows Danny?”

“He’s fine.”

He drops his voice, glancing over my shoulder to the counter before I get his full attention. “No, changing?”

“No.”

“No, urges?”

“No. He’s fine. Perfectly normal in fact!” I lie.

Danny was far from normal. He was always hungry, paranoid and only slept when I could keep watch over him. His moods were up and down, plus the whole hearing and smelling things wasn’t so easy to control like he first thought.

When I worked, he was at Jake’s place and seemed okay there. He could fake the good son act around our parents long enough to make them think his change in behaviour was permanent. The reality was, it had been a week from hell, and I think Jake was going to break from the stress of it all before Danny. I wasn’t going to tell Michael any of that though.

“Right,” Michael agreed, “I’d believe you if it wasn’t for this uncanny ability I have, for smelling lies.”

I instantly frowned and he laughed, looking at his watch. “Do you get a lunch break? I think we need to talk.”