Chapter XXIII

From what I could hear in the other room, Noah's family didn't have the manpower needed to really intimidate Scott into submission. For years they'd been trying to dismantle the empire he had set up and Noah becoming a lawyer was part of it. His Uncle was a police officer, his cousin a dock worker and all of them were known by a few detectives that only focused on the Howler Motorcycle Club and their illegal activities.

Nanna took care of Mum and Dad too. I don't know what she told them, but I least it was one less thing to worry about and Rachelle ended up at Peta's, while Jake went home. The TV was on low, more background noise than anything else, while I stared out the front window; watching the street like I was waiting for Danny to appear. I wanted this to be a joke he took too far, and in maybe, five - ten years, we could possibly laugh over it. Probably not, but I'd forgive him; I even had my speech to him ready to go.

"Sarah, got a sec?" Karen sat beside me, acting like she was interrupting something important. "Do you know where they were taking you?"

"No." Guilt at running ate at my insides. If I'd stayed, I would have been taken to Danny.

"We sent a few others all over the freeways near where your Nan picked you up from. There was no sign of the van."

"Michael never said about where we'd be going. I didn't hear them talking. I should have been faster, stabbed him again!" I mumbled, feeling numb as my thoughts darkened. "I should've been stronger, and kept them at work with me."

"Oh love, you did what you could!" She tried to comfort me, but it wasn't working.

The phone rang and we both looked into the kitchen. Clearly she could hear something I couldn't and quickly went back to the others. I followed.

"Jason was checking the club-house and saw a white van about a hundred meters down the road from it. Busted door and he scented blood inside it too." Mitch told them.

"We get Danny and Anna back, then worry about retaliation." Nanna decided.

"They're not there. We've checked in with Rabbit one and two. No kids, no action, nothing." He answered.

"They didn't know about the Blakes being back in town either so how reliable are your people?" She challenged.

Everyone went quiet and leaving them too it, found refuge in the guest room. Closing the door, I tried to think about what I could do. Nothing was happening and promises of this being over by dawn seemed redundant already. Someone had to know something. The old phone sat beside the lamp, the circular disc on the front used for dialling well worn with age and I wondered if it actually worked, or was just decoration.

It was strange to pick up a handset still connected to the phone and I managed to get Jake's mobile right. While the phone rang, less digitial to the mobile dial tone I was used to, I twirled the blue cord around my finger, again and again and it started to get tangled.

"Hello?" He answered sounding cautious..

"It's Sarah, I need you to do something for me."

"Any news on Danny?" Jake asked instead, lowering his voice as I heard a door shut in the background.

"No, but I need you to call Justin. Ask him what happened after you left, try and find out anything you can without sounding too suspicious." I went with Justin because someone had hidden that tool kit in the towels and left us water. He didn't seem as into this as Joe or Mr. Blake.

"I'll try. Are you at your Nans still? The number came up as private."

"Yeah. I'll give you twenty minutes and call back." I decide.