Chapter 12: A Proposal?

Enji's POV

Silence fell upon my office as the father of Anita Tanaka sat with a smug look on his face. Ryubo Tanaka had this proposal- perhaps it would sway in both of our favors? I wanted nothing but for my successor to have everything fall into his hands. Only to carry out my legacy in a well-mannered way. I know it wouldn't be long until I've finally groomed him completely. Shoto Todoroki was almost ready to be the next CEO. 

"Well? How is it?"

I looked to Ryubo, sighing heavily. Something has been stirring with Shoto. He's changing so much. Even though I've restricted a lot of his freedoms- mainly because he was my son- I wanted him to have free expression of who he loves. But the deal with Ryubo Tanaka- it would make him much more powerful in our field.

"Well?"

"I'll chat it over with my son."

"In the meantime, is it okay by your hand for us to arrange a date for these two?"

I shook my head, putting the papers down. "Only if Shoto agrees. I will not force him into a relationship like this. And besides, I cannot guarantee that he would agree to this... arrangement. You're proposing an arranged marriage between the two."

"That is what my daughter wanted. What's difficult to see? She's becoming popular within the media- and your son is only getting recognition for being your heir. With my lovely Anita by his side, there is no need for him to work for his fame."

"But my son is on the line-"

"Your son mustn't hide his feeling so privately. If he will become a media sensation- he must know his personal life wouldn't be private. It will all be public. That is the price he must pay. Anita would help him aid through that stage of his. Please, reconsider more than just asking him. Arrange a meeting as quickly as possible."

"I shall discuss it with him. That's as far as we're getting. Please leave my office."

Ryubo chuckled standing from his seat and nodding his head. "Pleasure doing business with you, Enji Todoroki."

I scoffed, packing my things and readying myself to leave home. Shoto should be home... unless he's out with those friends of his. Why can't he just tell me about what's going on with his life? I just don't believe it at all.

*   *   *

I waited for Shoto to come home- the clock was already ticking towards 11 pm at night. Fuyumi had already gone to bed, and now I was just waiting for Shoto. A few minutes had ticked passed 11. Soon enough, I could hear someone struggling to get through the front door without making too much noise. The locks had clicked and Shoto shoved himself through the door.

"Who were you out with?"

"Friends."

"Can't you tell me who they are?"

"Classified."

I sighed, shaking my head and giving him the news. "Well... Shoto... Ryobo Tanaka had a proposal for you, Shoto. An arranged marriage with his daughter-"

"I'm not doing it."

"At least give me a reason? Is there a girl you're seeing or something? Or is it something different? Shoto, at least tell me. I need to know."

Shoto looked away, walking to his room already. "I made a promise with a friend of mine. I am not going to get myself into an arranged marriage. I made a promise that I will forever keep with my friend."

"You're quite vague about your friend."

"Perhaps I don't want to give you bad ideas."

*   *   *

Just as I was trying to rest, a slight notification popped up. My eyes went wide as I knew this wasn't what I approved. Shoto's anger for me would only grow. I didn't approve of this. I said I'll have a talk with Shoto- see if he would approve it. I did not state to Ryubo Tanaka that his daughter, Anita, and my son, Shoto, would be in an arranged marriage.