Chapter 2: Outcast

Todoroki's POV

The second I stepped into this school... it was nothing but chaos. At least my last school was a bit more organized. Probably due to it being a private school. But here... I wasn't getting a good feeling from it. Too many people were running around. Was lunch always like this? If so, I would find some sort of isolated place and stay there. 

But things tend to look up. Among the chaos in the halls, there was at least one sane person. Though her back was turned to me, she wasn't rushing in any sort of way. I wanted to reach out to her, but I don't want the first meeting with her to be... chaotic. When she sat down, almost waiting for someone... I thought, "Why not?"

I walked over to her, almost raising my hand. I stopped myself, putting it down and started to ask. "Um... excuse me?" She started to turn around and I continued on with. "I'm new here... and I'm Shoto Todoroki. Can you tell me what's with all the commotion in the cafeteria?"

She began to stammer her words a bit, trying to catch herself a bit. 

"Something wrong? Are you okay?"

She shook her head, chuckling nervously. "Y-You're Shoto Todoroki, huh?"

"Yeah."

"T-The commotion is that... well... word got around school that you were gonna be in the cafeteria... so almost all the girls went there to see you."

"Ah... then I should avoid that for now. You alone or something?"

She chuckles a bit, pointing to the snack bar. "A friend's getting the both of us ice cream. Right now... I am alone. But once she comes back, I won't. Do you... do you want to hang out with us... just for the time being?"

A soft smile grew on my face, nodding my head. "Yeah, that sounds... welcoming. I've noticed I only introduced myself. What's your name?"

The girl hung her head down just a bit. She smiled softly, nearly whispering her name. "(y/n) (l/n). It's... it's nice to meet you, Shoto."

I chuckled softly, seeing some other girl walk by. "(y/n), you wouldn't believe how crowded it is in the cafet...ri...a..." The other girl looked at me strangely, just stunned. I could see her mouth being left agape. "I-Is that... him...?"

(y/n) nodded her head a bit. "Yeah... it's Shoto Todoroki."

"No... way!"

(y/n) somewhat lunged forward. Trying to cover her friend's mouth. "Careful... he doesn't want to be harassed by everyone. Don't draw attention to him."

"It's not like he can draw attention by himself- his hair's pretty notable..."

My hand went to my bangs, seeing the two-toned color. Maybe... it'll be better if I dyed it to a different... at least I won't bring attention to myself too much. I guess I can find something to cover the burn on my eye... maybe some contacts to change my eye color...?

"Chie! Stop it. Come on..." The girl, (y/n), turns to me with an embarrassed smile. "I can get you some food for lunch-"

I waved it off, chuckling softly. "No, it's fine. I ate before I got here. I'll wait here for you two. I won't leave." I smiled softly, seeing her nod her head. Just looking at her... she did seem somewhat disappointed. "If you want... you can get me a snack. I'm not pressuring you or anything."

(y/n) perked her head up, smiling somewhat naturally. "We'll be back as soon as possible, Shoto."

I chuckled softly, sitting on a nearby bench. I watched those two girls run into the cafeteria- practically fighting in the chaos. Once they left, I could've sworn that I felt so much stares on me. I tried to cover my head with my hoodie, trying to blend in with the crowd. I wonder... how easy it is to be normal and not stand out... I'm not considered normal because of what my father did. 

At least my first greeting was at least somewhat normal.