Chapter 10: Mutual Understanding

Todoroki's POV

The constant buzzing of my phone annoyed me. It took every part of my willpower to act grateful in front of (y/n)'s parent's. I believe they noticed me being distracted every other second, so they kinda... allowed me to go and take the calls I was missing. A dreadful feeling was hanging over me as I thought I knew who the caller was.

Taking a bit of time walking out of the restaurant to answer the phone- of course. "What is it, Father?"

"Where are you?"

"Out with a friend."

"Without an escort?!"

With a heavy sigh, I shook my head and leaned against a wall. "I'm 16- I can perfectly go somewhere with a friend without an escort. It's not like I'm 6 years old. I can take care of myself. I don't need an escort to be with a friend."

"Have I met this friend?"

"No."

Father was silent for a few moments. "Come back to the house, Shoto. I don't trust them. That or I shall send you an escort back home. Either way, you're coming back home."

I shook my head, feeling this growl emanating from me. "I'm not coming home, Father. Not until I want to go home. You can't keep me in that cage you call home. Let me enjoy some time with a friend. Do you really mind it that much? That you need to barge into my life like that? I want to be normal too, you know."

Without another peep from him, I decided to hang up on him and muted him. At this rate, he was going to see my dyed hair and the make-up hiding my burn mark. Anger was just fuming from me. Against the cool air, it didn't make a dent in my anger. Taking a breath... one... two... three...

A wave of calm crashed onto me, and I was able to breathe. The heavy air no longer sat on me. Who cares if he sees my different appearance? Having a new sense of purpose, I walked back inside the restaurant with none other than the feeling of joy. After all... I'm with her... I didn't mind if they asked me weird questions.

I just knew... that as long as I was with her... there was no other problems- other than the occasional question if I was believing if I should be with (y/n) or not. If I'll be able to turn down the other girls within a heartbeat. Of course... I would decline any girl's proposal if it wasn't (y/n).

"Was everything okay, Shoto?"

I nodded my head, trying to bring a smile to my face. "Yeah, everything's fine, (y/n). It's just my dad. It's alright, don't worry too much."

(y/n) nodded her head a bit, but I could tell that she was a little afraid. Could she been thinking about my father wanting to break our relationship together? That... I do not blame her for. The conversation continued somewhat normal, and it was almost time to head home.

(y/n) and her mother had seemingly passed out in the back of the car. Since I had to leave almost immediately and her father wanted a word.

"You said that you would deny any proposal that wasn't my daughter?"

"Yeah."

"I know... I know you're young, Shoto. This relationship with my daughter is somewhat... quick. It startles me. How would I know that she wouldn't be hurt?"

I sighed softly, leaning against the car door- just gazing out of the window. "I'll do anything in my power to ensure that she's safe. If my father wants me to do otherwise, I still won't obey him like that. I had a fair shares of... who I wanted to date from my father's line of work. Proposals and talks of an arranged marriage. But soon enough... he won't have an arrange marriage for me. I'll be free to marry whoever I wanted. I know that I would want to marry (y/n). If we do get that far..."

Her father nodded, understanding. "Not everything is set in stone. But I don't care if you are the son of some big corporate hotshot like your father. Do anything to hurt my daughter- I will make you pay."

A soft chuckle left me as I thought about that. "I doubt that I would hurt her like that."

*   *   *

"Shoto, what have you done to yourself?!"

His criticized words no longer impacted me as I walked into the house without hiding my face. No excuses were made. "I wanted to look normal. How is that a problem...?"

Father stared at me with fury growing in his eyes. If he would puff fire, he would've been fuming so much... the house would've burned down. "Who was this friend you were with?"

"Does it matter who it is?"

"It does!"

I sighed, shaking my head. "I won't tell you who it is. You wanted to make my life more difficult in life by having them isolated from me? It's not gonna work. Stop it. Leave it. I'm human. Just... enough."

The shouting from him continued to be muted behind closed doors. The dye began to wash away in the bath. The makeup was easily removed by remover. I was back to what I was before. Maybe I can just go one day with my ordinary looks.