Last to Know Chapter 22

Chapter 22-

James awoke with fear. That was all he could feel at the moment. Aaron... was he evil? Did he kill on purpose? How would he ever know?

The fact that his mind had made this up was insane to him. He knew he'd distrusted Aaron from the start, but was it more than that? A... premonition?

Were his dreams trying to tell him something? How would he know... if they were?

Jill looked up after finishing her story. Marcy was simply staring, not sure what to think.

                "I know it's not a great story. It hasn't ended yet, and I plan to see Aaron in a few days."  Jill filled in, hoping Marcy wasn't getting the wrong idea.

                Marcy simply hugged Jill and cried along with her, cried the tears that may be the last ones shed before her new life. She would awaken to her new life with her long-lost; her true love; the one that had stolen her heart and captured her entirely.

                "I love this store." Marcy said. Marcy and Jill walked along the streets of Boulder, one of the most elegant cities in the country, in Jill's opinion. "We need to go in there."

                Marcy tugged Jill's arm toward the store, and she was reminded of those days when she was a teenager and her friends would tempt her to go into a store just to see the cute top or jeans in the window.

                The store they entered was beautiful, selling antique and home-made items. She walked to the home-made items immediately, knowing she had no use for antiques.

She smiled at the little trinket she picked up. It was a Christmas ornament. The little soft bear hung in a blue-gray hammock, his little beady eyes almost covered completely by his red Santa Claus hat.  Small snowflakes covered the ornament, as if someone happened to sprinkle it with powdered sugar.

                She automatically wanted to buy that, so she carried it around to meet Marcy. She rounded the corner and laughed loudly at the sight of Marcy. Her eyes were drawn on the man at the back of the room. An employee, no less.

                Marcy shushed her, still making an approach. Jill was still in giggles, but she tried to quiet down as they walked to the checkout.

                The man had to be the same age as them, and Marcy was single. It seemed to be the perfect time to meet someone. "I'm going to look around a little more. You... go get 'em..." Jill smiled and walked back to the ornament section.

                Jill eyed Marcy as she talked it up with the handsome worker. She did find more bear ornaments in the midst of her looking, but she stuck with the one she had. Marcy smiled at the man behind the counter, leaning forward slightly.

                This entire ordeal made Jill feel young. She saw herself flirting with previous boyfriends, and then only dating them one time. Hopefully that wasn't what Marcy was doing. 

                Marcy paid for her items and finally walked back toward Jill. She had a grin plastered across her face, and triumphantly marched until she was a foot from Jill before she spoke.

                "He asked me out." She whispered. "He asked me. Not the other way around."

                Jill laughed. "Lucky."

                Jill walked and paid for her ornament, smiled at the man that she still hadn't met, and walked out with Marcy toward the car.