Last To Know- Chapter 5

Chapter 5-

"Louise?"

"Hey, hon! What's going on? Why are you callin' me at this hour?" My aunt, as always, was happy to hear from me, even this early in the morning. I had actually forgotten that it was four in the morning. But I went on telling her what happened, no details spared.

"...So I want her to stay with us, just until she gets a new house and things like that." I finished up my story telling, and by this point, my aunt was on the verge of tears. "I don't know why God lets these things happen..." She said, clearly revolted that things like this happen to good people.

Honestly, I felt (and still feel) the same way, just like about what I did to you, James. Sometimes, bad things happen to good people. And sometimes, it just isn't deserved. To continue...

My aunt finally sighed, and said, "Yes, they can both stay. You know we have two guest rooms, that is, if you sleep on that pull out bed in the living room. But you won't have to-"

"No, I will. Jill can have my room. It's fine." I interrupted, not wanting to make my aunt or uncle sleep on that horrible bed. "Well, maybe we can get a better bed at least, if nothing else." Louise said. Apparently, she didn't like the bed either. I finally said we were coming home, right after we went to see Dakota, and then I hung up.

Jill was staring at me with a tortured expression. "I'm not taking your room." She said, and I knew she was serious. "I'm going to sleep in the floor. I refuse to mooch off of people." She smiled then, using air quotes. I knew she was making fun of the time when we had first met, less than four days before. I laughed myself, despite what had just happened.

I took my car, and she took hers, and she followed me to my aunts'. She parked, and then hopped in the car with me, and we drove toward the hospital. I was surprised, and yet comforted, when she took my hand. It was silent, except for the humming of the engine in my car. About halfway to the hospital, Jill started to cry.

I'll bet you've heard this before, because everyone has. Guys never know what to do when girls cry. And I don't mind saying that it's true. Very true. I had no clue how to comfort her, so I just clutched her hand tighter. I saw her smile lightly. "Thank you so much. I don't deserve for you to do this for me, or my brother. It's amazing of you." She finally looked up, and the smile on her face made me feel great relief. She was crying because she was happy.

That, I thought, is a little bit easier to handle. I almost laughed. But then I wondered why she wasn't sad...Why was she happy? Then, I knew she cared about me, more than I had thought.

We arrived at the hospital, and after Jill wiped her tears away, we headed inside. We asked where Dakota Brewer was, and the nurse warned us, "He's in a pretty bad condition; I don't know how much he'll respond, because of all his medication."

We walked slowly down to his room, Jill still holding my hand, and when we got to the door, a sad look crossed over her. I gave her a hug, and we stepped inside.

Dakota looked terrible, if that's the proper word. He was lying on his stomach, bandages on his back. His face was burned, though not as severely as his back. I knew that he was in pain, just from looking at the martyred expression on his face. Yet, he smiled when we walked in. "I'm so glad you're here." He said, and his voice sounded hoarse. I tried to keep from crying myself at the sight of him like that. But Jill couldn't hold it back.

She carefully hugged him, trying not to touch him at all, and a tear streamed down her cheek. I tried to comfort her as best as I could, which wasn't that well at all. I put my arm around her shoulder as she stood back up. It worked. She smiled at me with gleaming eyes.

Dakota tried to keep our mind off of things, I guess, because after that, he was babbling on and on about everything. His college classes, his girlfriend, anything to keep his mind (and ours) off of what happened.

Finally, we said our goodbyes, and Jill and I headed to my aunts house.

She brought all of her things, which wasn't much. If I remember right, she had about a full suitcase, and there were only a few pieces of furniture that survived. I feel bad now when I think about it, but I hadn't been too worried about that at the time. All I remember thinking was "WOW! This girl is staying at MY house!"

I know that sounds silly, for a guy like me, but it was true...

She walked in and I directed her to the guest bedroom...She knew I was just going to put her brother in my room, but she didn't bug me about it, which almost made me laugh.

I thought about how much I liked Dakota, and how much I wish I had a brother or a sister. But I wondered how different my life would have been, and knowing what I know, I knew that God put certain things into my life for a reason.

James, I know I'm in jail at the moment, but I just want you to know, God had me do what I did for a reason. You and I might not see it now, but it's the truth. I don't know what your religion is, but I know mine. I should have thought about my actions, should have thought everything through, but I didn't. And it was all for a reason. But we might be the last ones to know why. Just think about that as you read the rest of my story.

Jill had stepped into the guest room to put some of her things up and take a quick shower. I just lingered around her door for a few minutes, not long enough for her to know I was still there. No need for her to think I was obsessed.

When I started to turn around, she came out, her hair in a wet ponytail. She was wearing comfy-looking silk pajamas, which accented her perfectly shaped body. I just stood there shocked.

She simply walked up to me, with swift grace, and smiled. "You were waiting on me?" She said lightly, and I wondered if she...and then I pushed the thought away. I had only known her for four days!

"Yes, I was." I finally sighed. She laughed.

"Why?"

I took that as my moment to 'make a move'.

"So I could do this..." I swiftly pulled her close, and leaned in to kiss her.