Last To Know Chapter 4

Chapter 4-

"Yea, we...um...we used to get along about like...well, you know, brother and sister: terribly." She explained, and the look on her face was unforgettable. I laughed. "I wish I had a brother or a sister. I'm an only child. I used to wish for someone to play with when I was little."

"You always want what you can't have..." she said lamely. It made me think about her life, and if she really had a great one, like she made it seem. But, wouldn't it be really interesting to know? I just told her the truth.

"Is something wrong? I mean, the way you said that, it made me wonder..." I trailed off. "Wow! You can like... read minds!" she exclaimed.

She never explained, just went on talking about her brother, Dakota.

I had to drop her off at her house (apparently her brother had gotten another ride and picked up the car at the hospital), so she gave me more directions. We kept talking on the way, and I realized her house was relatively close to where my aunt and uncle live. I could easily get to her house, if I ever wanted to see her.

"Um... my brother's already home. Great! You can meet him!" she smiled, just as we were pulling into her driveway. The first thing I noticed was the size of her house. It was a huge, three story house, and I wondered why in the world she would have such a terrible life living like this. I would have asked, but her brother was at my window.

"Hi! You're Jill's friend, right? I'm sorry; she never mentioned your name, although she was talking non-stop about you." I glanced over to see her giving him a very impolite gesture. I ignored it.

"Yes, I'm Aaron. Aaron Sewart. Nice to meet you." I awkwardly reached through the window to shake his hand. He smiled, and I knew we were going to get along great. Of course, I would figure that, since he has such a great sister.

"Why don't you come inside? I know it's late, but you can come in if you want..." He trailed off. "Um.. I think I'd better get back to the hospital to tell my uncle goodnight. I'll see you later?" I looked at Jill. She was still in the car. It seemed she didn't want to get out. "Oh, um...here's my number." She pulled a notepad out of her purse and scribbled on it, then handed it to me.

I pulled out of her driveway, thinking about why God would put this great person in my life. When I stopped at the stoplight, I read the note. It said, "I had a great time, and I know I'll never forget you. Jill Brewer." Under that was her number.

James, Jill may have told you this story, or at least I hope she did. Even thought what happens next is a tragedy, it still brought us closer together and changed our life even more dramatically. I say 'our', because it is very devastating for Jill, as well as me. Sometimes mistakes really can define a person's life, and I'm sure God intended it that way, just as he knew I would be put in jail.

I finally reached the hospital, glumly walked inside, and tried to force a smile. My uncle seemed to be doing a lot better, but my aunt wasn't. She was sitting in the same chair, quietly sobbing. When I walked in, she straightened up, wiped her eyes, and smiled at me. "You don't have to try so hard for me, Louise..." I sighed. "I know he'll be better." I knelt beside of her and hugged her closely. I finally left around midnight and headed home.

I couldn't sleep well, not well at all. Something was bugging me, and on a sudden impulse, I ran out my door. I had this strange premonition that Jill might need me. I wasn't going to go inside unless I was sure. I drove, still in my might clothes, to Jill's house, wondering if I was just going insane when not around her. That might be true, but I was sure something was up when I saw a fire truck outside of her house.

The house was destroyed, completely consumed by the fire. I jumped out of my car, already crying, crying for Jill, and crying for Dakota. The firefighter told me what happened. "We got a call form the neighbor, said the house was on fire. They both got out, but the guy has some minor burns on his back. Apparently a good sized piece of timber fell on him, but she saved his life."

I couldn't speak, couldn't make a sound. I was relieved, almost overjoyed, that they were both alive, but scared and angry that God let this happen to her... Where would they live? What do they do now? I almost fell over when Jill hugged me. She was smiling. "How did you know? How did you know to come here? I mean, the fire was only fifteen minutes ago, barely enough time for you to get here!" I just hugged her back. "I don't know, I just had this feeling... Is Dakota okay?"

"They've already taken him to the hospital...he has a bad burn, but there's not a scratch on me..." She seemed pleased by that. Then she frowned. "He'll be okay..." she didn't sound so sure. "How did you save him?" I asked.

"That's something I should tell you some other time, I don't want to think about it. I'm not even sure I remember, and I'm tired."

"I'll call my aunt. You're gonna stay at my place." She was going to protest, but I had already grabbed out my cell.