Last to Know Chapter 14 pt. 2

Chapter 14- pt. 2

The rain was cold, my hands were clammy, and my head ached. I ran through the forest... searching. Searching for something. Anything. Nothing.

I didn't know what to search for, much less where to look for it. And there was nothing in here anyway. Well, nothing worth having.

The pine smell made a homey feeling, but I felt too drunk to relax in it. There was nothing here. Why would I be searching for nothing? As the rain pounded harder on me, I remembered who I was looking for. Jill: My friend, my lover.

She was not here.

She wasn't here?

I thought about where she might be, and came up short. With Brian? I didn't know. But I'd thought she should be here, in the forest, with me. Especially after last night...

So, I looked for Brian. Amazingly, I didn't have to search long. He was there, against the tree...

As I rounded the corner, trying to clear my vision in the fog, I saw what he was doing... And, more importantly, who he was doing it with.

His hands caressed her neck, her back and shoulders, her entire body. And there was a passion that I could feel, the same thing I'd felt when we had...

He was kissing her, almost more than I had. She leaned against the old oak, relaxing in his presence, letting him hold her like that. And I hated him with as much force as was possible. But amazingly, I still...

Loved...

Her...

And then there was nothing. I'd found nothing, just as I'd hoped for, or wanted to hope for. The red framed my vision, and I suddenly was holding a knife. I walked up to them; they were so enveloped in each other that they didn't even notice me, and as she reached for his pants, I stabbed him.

I held the knife there for a long moment, reveling in the relief I felt. And as the blood ran through his fingers, and mine, she turned, pulled up her clothes, as if she cared what I thought.

And then she screamed at me.

I woke with a shake, rolled over, and over. Jill mumbled, pressing her bare arm over me. She woke up, looked at me, and then smiled.

"How was that?" She asked in a charming voice. I smiled, but the thoughts of the dream still haunted me. I couldn't kill him, could I?

I stared at her for a long minute.

"I... don't know." I paused. "I don't think we should have." I said quietly. To be honest, it was the best night I'd ever had, and I still haven't had a better one since. But the thought of us together, and her being taken away, made me realize that we should have waited.

She stared at me. It took me a while to grace her with an explanation, but I did. "It's just..." I finally gave in.

"You were amazing." I said. "You. Were. Awesome." Her eyes filled with humor at that, but then I went on. "We shouldn't have, though. It's just that we've really only spent about a month together, we're not married, and it... it was just too soon."

She seemed to accept the rant, kissed me, and got out of bed. "Doesn't matter what you think about it. We've done it, I loved it, and I don't regret it." She smiled at me and dashed into the bathroom to take a shower.

I thought about that.

But soon, I was still obsessing over the lost dream; the dream that I should've listened to while it lasted.

James, all of that had been faked. Every kiss, every touch between us, had been a ploy. For what reason, to what gain, I still haven't figured out. But I suspected it then, and now there's nothing I can do.

She's yours; you're married now, so there's nothing left to do:

Except plead.