Last To Know Chapter 7

Chapter 7-

Jill reluctantly kissed me back, although I didn't think she would. When I pulled back, I felt guilty. She smiled, though, and I took it that it was okay.

I kissed her again, losing track of time, bottling all of my happiness inside. I was trying to hide the fact that I was falling for her, and that we'd only met a few days ago. Even at a rough time in her life, when her house had just been burned to the ground, and her brother in the hospital, she still seemed happy as she pressed her hands to the back of my neck.

That thought made me cringe, and gave me joy, all in the same second. I pulled back again, and looked at her. Her eyes held that moment we had shared, and her mouth held that perfect smirk that I adored.

I smiled suddenly, and she giggled. Just then, my aunt walked into the living room. A few seconds earlier, I thought, and she'd have been coming in to see a weird sight. Jill had just enough time to untangle herself from me before my aunt looked up. She smiled, obviously thinking something was up. I just shrugged, and Jill and I headed to the couch to watch TV.

There were suddenly many things I realized. First, there was the fact that I knew I would never forget this girl I was with. And second, it didn't matter whether I'd end up being with her or not, just knowing her was enough. She had (and still has) an astounding influence on my life.

As I thought about these things, sitting there with Jill became more crucial and special every moment.

I held her hand, but it didn't seem like enough. She cuddled next to me, and even that didn't seem like enough.

We finally watched as the sun rose, and marveled at it together. It was strange, knowing that it was all fate that was keeping us here. Fate was making me fall for her, and making her fall for me.

I decided to make the day for her shopping. "Jill," I said at the table while eating breakfast, "Why don't you show me some of the places you like to shop. I'll buy you some new clothes; to... umm... replace your others."

"Um... You don't have to..."

"Yes. I do. And you're coming shopping."

I saw the look on her adorable face and laughed when she gave up. "Alright..." She sighed.

"This shop Is awesome! Well, it's a bunch of shops, but you know what I mean. There are a lot of cool places here." I looked around at the strip mall where we were. People were everywhere, bustling around, probably taking back those crappy Christmas gifts.

I smiled; as I always did when Jill was happy, knowing I'd helped her in some way.

We walked into this pretty pink shop, and I held Jill's hand, letting her lead me around the store. She picked out several items, and then led me to the fitting room while she tried them on. Each one made her look beautiful, as I told her, but that only made me realize that I'd never cared what she was wearing. Her red fiery hair and fair face made her look amazing to me.

"I think this one's my favorite." She was wearing a small blue-green shirt with a lacy front, and some dark blue jeans. I loved it, but of course it was just me.

As we walked to the check out, she smiled and stopped me. She just gazed at me for the longest time, and then started walking again. It was interesting to note that we both were walking clumsily, but neither one of us cared.

The woman at the register smiled at us as we began to check out. "How are you today?" She smiled, trying to speak to Jill. I looked at Jill when she didn't answer, but she was still looking at me.

"I hope you don't mind me asking, but how long have you two been together?" the cashier said.

"About five days." I laughed, knowing it sounded ridiculous.

Her eyes grew so wide, I thought they were going to pop out of her head.

"Really?"

"Yep." Jill finally looked at her and smiled; obviously proud of herself.

"Well, that's strange. Ya'll look like a couple that's been together for years. I mean, some of these married couples don't come in here like that."

"Really?" It was my turn to be shocked.

"Yep." She gave us a wink.

I left the store thinking that I knew there was something between us that was more than special.