Last To Know Chapter 10

Chapter 10-

I woke up to a nauseous feeling in the pit of my stomach. I didn't open my eyes, not just yet. Suddenly, not just the stomach pain, but leg pain and headache hit me with great force.

"Mmmm." I mumbled. I wanted to say something else, but I didn't remember who I was supposed to be talking to. This thought gave me a sudden jolt.

I finally opened my eyes.

I was in a hospital, covered with tubes, and machines were scattered everywhere. I looked around, wondering why the hell I was here.

Jill came into my view.

I stared in awe, unable to recognize her. It was quiet for a moment, a moment that held confusion, a moment that I didn't understand.

"Aaron?" she smiled, and I knew who she was now, and I knew that I loved her.

"Jill?"

"Oh, I've missed you! You know, you were in a coma, for two whole weeks!"

She was crying now, but so was I. I smiled in spite of those tears, and she leaned down and kissed me.

This kiss was different. A whole two weeks, I mean, a whole year of love and affection rolled into one kiss. I'd missed her, and we both knew it. Our tears combined as we were sharing this passionate moment on a hospital bed.

We were both startled when a nurse came in to check on me. Jill and I lay gasping on the bed. I laughed self consciously; I realized that Jill was now tangled in the IV tubes that were hooked to me.

She laughed too, trying to untangle herself.

The nurse smiled attentively. "I'm sorry to interrupt, but I see he's awake now. I just need to have the doctor come in and check him out then." She disappeared into the hallway, blushing.

"I was gone fore two weeks!?" the realization hit me suddenly, and I stared at Jill in shock.

"Mmmhmm." She said, gazing at me like.....Like she wanted me.

I wanted her.

I shook my head suddenly. We had still only spent that few weeks together. And I didn't know what had happened to me.

"Are you um... going to tell me the story?"

She shook her head quickly and sighed. "Well, your station was bombed. Several of your buddies died, but you were one of the lucky ones. They flew you back to Boulder, since that's where your family was, and you were in a coma.

"I wouldn't let them put you down. I refused. I just knew you'd come back. And guess what? I was starting to lose hope, but then, you woke up!"

She kissed me again. "I love you." She said, each word followed by another kiss.

"I love you, too."

"You're coming to live here right?"

"Of course. You'd have to fly with me to Charlotte, to pack my junk, though."

So it was settled. The doctor let me go home after another day, saying I'd be fine. I booked a flight for Jill and I, and we were headed to Charlotte in about a week.

I was surprised, but the war was behind me, my fear was behind me, and now I could spend my life with Jill, the one I love. At least, that's what I thought.