Chapter 32

Song: "Hurt" by Oliver Tree 

*Semi-edited*
~

I frowned as an idea popped into my head, one that I should've thought about to begin with

I turned to Preston. "Do you have anything that belongs to Lily? Anything important?"

Preston furrowed his eyebrows while deep in thought. His shoulders sagged as he shook his head. "I got nothing."

"There must be something we can do to get a hold of something that belongs to her," I muttered as I pressed my fingers to the bridge of my nose, already feeling a headache coming on. My mind raced, making it hard to concentrate on a single thought.

"What if we go to her house?" Someone suggested. "She must have something personal there, right?"

My eyes shifted to the voice that hadn't spoken the whole time. The Demon King lounged back on the small couch situated at the corner of the room. His eyes were framed by dark bags and his face looked pale and exhausted, like he hadn't gotten much sleep.

Despite his tired appearance, his aura still screamed "I'm powerful don't piss me off."

"Why didn't I think of that?" I mentally face-palmed myself. I'm such and idiot. "I've been to her house before."

Preston's eyebrows shot up. "You have?"

I nodded. "Yeah, I went to her house when I tricked her into hanging out with me so I could set her up with you. Unfortunately, it didn't turn out the way I hoped but that doesn't matter anymore."

Preston opened his mouth to say something, but Cyrus cut him off.

"As much as I'd love to hear about Liana's not-so-evil schemes, let's hurry up and find this little mate of yours. I need to go back and deal with mine."

• • •

Cyrus wasted no time in kicking down the door. No one was home, meaning Lily's brother was probably out. Most likely looking for his sister if he wasn't also taken.

Preston pushed Cyrus out of the way and stalked into the empty house, his face set with determination. He sniffed the air and followed his mate's scent.

He pushed open a door leading to a room that I assumed belonged to Lily. The walls were a plain white, while a bed with an emerald-colored comforter sat against the wall. The room overall looked pretty simple. A couple cardboard boxes scattered the floor, probably leftover from the move.

My eyes settled on a small item sitting on the nightstand. I approached it with newfound curiosity. I reached for it and picked it up.