CHAPTER FIVE

Dinner was everything Chan wanted it be

Dinner was everything Chan wanted it be. Casual conversation and laughter and learning more about Misun in an appropriate setting and situation. He learned her younger brother and parents still lived in her hometown of Daegu, and she had moved to Seoul to start a life on her own. Working in a cafe wasn't her long term goal, but it was her way of earning her own way into university.

They both shared childhood stories and quickly lost track of time as hours had gone by without them realizing. Chan insisted he would walk Misun home, ensuring he didn't live too far away anyway, a lie but she didn't need to know that yet.

Misun took Chan's phone from his jacket, entering her number into his contacts before placing it back where she found it. Chan grinned at the action and waved as she turned to walk into her house. He had a skip in his step the entire way home, as what he thought was a permanent blush resided on his cheeks.

As he laid down in bed after what had turned out to be the perfect day, he sent a text to her saying he had a great time, to which she replied in agreement. He kept the conversation short, not wanting to come off too strongly considering they had just spent hours together.

He fell asleep as the events of that night replayed through his mind and for the first time in a while, he slept peacefully.

The night had been perfect, Misun was perfect, everything was perfect. Or so he thought.

The next morning, he woke up on his own accord. Free from the sound of an alarm clock and was graced with the silence that engulfed his room. The sun was shining through the sheer curtains on his windows and a smile adorned his face.

He had the day to do whatever he wanted, and he was debating going to the cafe or not. Part of him wanted to get back into the routine of doing so, but he didn't want to seem like he was always showing up, even on his days off.

Or maybe part of him longed for Misun to send a text first saying she missed him.

He decided he wouldn't go to the cafe, but that didn't mean he wasn't going to walk by. He knew he couldn't keep himself from seeing her.

As he walked down the familiar streets, he appreciated the warm sunshine that seemed to put everyone in a good mood. The cafe came into sight and Chan could feel his heartbeat quicken at the thought of seeing her.

His mood quickly turned sour, the smile on his face turning into a frown as anger raged through his body.

There Misun sat in one of the booths of the cafe, only she was joined by another male. One with delicate, yet attractive features that would make anyone stare. He smiled as Misun laughed at something he said, and Chan could feel the dread coursing through him.

He was so sure he had finally gotten somewhere with Misun, meanwhile he was nowhere as close as he had hoped. Logically, he knew he had no idea who this other man was, and could just be another one of Misun's friends. But something in his gut said otherwise.

When he saw Misun with Hyunjin, he didn't get the feeling he did with whoever this was. He was jealous of Hyunjin for being able to be as close as he was, but Chan knew he was nothing but a friend to Misun. This male was someone Chan didn't know, but there was a sparkle in Misun's eye that he was sure he had seen the night before with him. Maybe he was wrong.

Maybe he was wrong in being so elated, maybe he was nothing but a friend in Misun's eyes. He couldn't stand the thought, and he quickly walked past the window praying he wouldn't be noticed. He needed to know who that was, and if it meant crossing more boundaries he knew he shouldn't cross he would do it. It wasn't like he hadn't already crossed boundaries before.

He returned back home, his mood significantly worse than when he had left. He grabbed his laptop and opened every social network he could think of. Chan hesitated as his fingers hovered over the keyboard. He wanted to look up her name, to find any evidence of who she was with by digging into her past posts. As much as he was determined when he had walked home, now he doubted himself.

He thought this side of him had passed when it came to her. He thought he would go back to being his normal self now that he had gotten to know her. But the image of her with the other possessed him to enter her name into the search bar.

Chan filtered through the names, finally stumbling upon an old Facebook account. She hadn't updated it in a year, the last post being one from when she still lived in Daegu. He scrolled through the posts, eyes scanning every picture she had, hoping to find the man in question.

There were plenty of pictures with friends and family but none of who she was sitting with until he stumbled upon a group picture. He almost missed it but he spotted a younger version of the man in question with his arms wrapped around Misun. His blood boiled as he checked if she had tagged the people in the picture.

Lee Minho.

Chan quickly went to Minho's profile which also hadn't been updated recently and found a significantly larger amount of pictures of him and Misun. Arms wrapped around each other, kissing each other's cheeks, enough to make Chan's fists and jaw clench.

He gathered they were no longer in a relationship, considering the lack of posts that must have been deleted on her page, and he knew past boyfriends were to be expected. Chan knew he shouldn't let it get to him, after all, he didn't know the entire story.

A ding from his phone broke him out of his thoughts as he exited out of the tabs, not wanting to see the pictures he had found any longer. The screen was illuminated by a text from Misun.

misun
i saw you walk by the cafe,
you looked like you were on
quite the mission considering
you basically sprinted by

chan
had some errands to run
wanted to get them over with

misun
hopefully next time one of
those errands includes
grabbing a cup of coffee

chan
it almost was
you looked busy though
didn't want to bother you

misun
you could never bother me
was just catching up with an
old friend anyway i would
have made time for you

chan
i'll keep that in mind
for next time :)

Relief settled down Chan's nerves slightly, but he was still doubtful. He knew Minho was more than "an old friend" though he couldn't say that unless he wanted to prove he had been stalking her social media. Though him being referred to as a friend proved his suspicions that they had broken up somewhere between the last post and moving to Seoul. How long had they dated? Why did they break up?

There was just one lingering question that outshone the others — why was Minho back?