CHAPTER FOUR

A month had passed and Chan's obsession was only growing stronger

A month had passed and Chan's obsession was only growing stronger. He could feel the need to be close to Misun growing with every passing day and he knew he needed to assess how he had gotten to this point.

He knew he was crossing lines that shouldn't be crossed by following her home and what he was feeling wasn't normal. Normal people had a crush and asked out said crush if they were confident enough or stayed silent and yearned to be with them. They didn't know their routine, and they didn't feel like they would lose their mind if they couldn't be with said person.

So, he made the mature decision to distance himself from her. He forced himself to get his coffee to go, he went to work and then he went home. No unnecessary following, but he was still able to see her once a day. Though this only led into a new set of problems.

When he only saw her once, he spent the rest of the day worrying something would happen to her and that she wouldn't get home safely. His concentration at work decreased, he developed a new habit of bouncing his leg up and down while biting his nails, his mind was consumed with Misun, Misun and Misun.

Slowly fading her out of his life wasn't going to cut it, so he tried to go cold turkey. He promised himself he wouldn't go to the cafe for a whole week. He drowned himself in work, often coming in early and working overtime, anything to keep his mind focused on anything but her.

His days slowly became everything but Misun and Chan started to think his plan was working. Two full weeks had passed and he had thought he was finally made it through the hardest part. His addiction to her was fading and he was feeling back to his old self. Until the dreams started.

Chan had never experienced such vivid dreams before, all of them being of her. He woke up in cold sweats, heart pounding, convinced he could still feel the way her hand fit perfectly in his. They were perfect dreams. Her smile glowed, eyes squinted as her melodic laugh echoed around his skull at something he said. Her lips felt like velvet pressed up against his as he pulled her in as close as possible. Her tiny frame engulfed by his larger one. His name falling from her lips in pants and moans as she repeated that she was his and only his. Perfect dreams that started to haunt his every waking moment.

For a while he tried to avoid sleeping altogether. The bags under his eyes grew darker, his ability to do basic human functions took every ounce of energy. When he knocked over a pile of papers off his desk, followed by a cup of coffee as he went to pick them, was when he knew enough was enough.

His boss called him into his office, asking him what was going on. "Tired. Just tired." He replied. It wasn't a lie after all.

His boss sent him home early that day, taking notice that he had been coming in early and leaving later and how he deserved some time off. Unknown to him, Chan dreaded this time off. This only meant he was free to make the impulsive decision to go see her.

He had subconsciously made that decision when he realized he had walked into the cafe. There she was, as beautiful as ever. The time apart from her only made him realize how much time he had wasted without her.

When he walked up to the front counter, he was met with a beaming smile. "There you are! I was starting to think you had gone missing."

She had noticed he was gone, she had been thinking of him. If only she knew how much he had been thinking of her.

"I've been extra busy at work, didn't have time to stop by in the morning." Oh, how he had missed her.

"That's why you look so tired, you know you need to pace yourself. Don't feel shame in taking time for yourself, okay?"

She cared. Chan's heart picked up speed at this revelation, she truly cared about him.

"I'll listen to your advice from here on out."

"Good! Now, how about I make you something to relax you? Maybe a tea?"

"I would love that. Thank you."

He reached into his pocket to pull out his wallet, only to be stopped. "It's on the house, to celebrate your time off."

He insisted but was only turned down, and he decided he would find a way to make it up to her somehow.

He took his usual seat and felt himself release tension he had been building up for the past two weeks. She placed a cup in front of him, the aroma of cinnamon filling his nostrils and overwhelming his senses. He took a tentative sip, and hummed in approval at the taste. He looked up at her and grinned, "Just what I needed."

She smiled as a reply before being whisked away as another customer reached the counter. As they placed their order, Chan found himself staring. Her eyes were sparkling more than usual and her smile seemed brighter. Or maybe it just appeared that way since he had been deprived of it for so long.

Once the other customer was settled with their order, the completely unexpected happened. Misun came back over to Chan, placing her hands down on the table, only a centimetre away from Chan's. "I'm off work in about 40 minutes, if you're not doing anything, want to get dinner with me?"

Chan immediately agreed, blushing at his eagerness. There was no way he was going to pass up that opportunity. This was what he had wanted. A chance to become closer to her, to get to know her. Really know her.

Just like that, he was sent spiralling down the rabbit hole he had tried so hard to climb out of. Only this time, he yearned for the fall.