CHAPTER ONE

They say your life can change in a split second the moment you meet that particular person

The person who flips your world upside down, the person who makes you want to be a better person, the person you know will be what fills the empty void you've spent your whole life trying to fill. Someone you can picture building your entire world around.

That was what happened to Bang Chan the moment he decided to walk into a cafe he had never been in to find refuge from the cold October rain. He didn't know why he picked this particular cafe, there were plenty of stores that were closer, but he felt a pull coming from the doors of this particular building. Chan was not someone who believed in fate or destiny, but once he had entered the cafe his entire viewpoint changed.

Behind the counter was the person he knew would change his life forever. Her hair tied up in a ponytail to keep it out of her face as she worked behind the counter, eyes sparkling and a smile gracing her face as she handed a to go cup to the customer opposite her. Chan could faintly hear her voice say, "Have a good day!" over the chatter of the patrons inside the cafe. Her voice was genuine, in a way where it didn't sound as if she were reading off a script to obtain perfect customer service.

Chan found himself walking toward the counter without realizing, she was like a magnet, drawing him to her. He joined the line, not being able to keep his eyes off of her. Did he know he more than likely looked like a creep? Of course. But he couldn't help himself, he was mesmerized.

With each customer that left, he got closer to her and his heart began to beat more rapidly. Finally, he was right in front of her. She smiled at him and he felt his mouth dry up and the panic settle in. She said something to him, but he didn't hear a thing she said. Why was he acting like he was in front of his first crush at a school dance? He was an adult, long passed puberty, and he was acting like a love-struck teenager who had seen a pretty girl for the first time in his life.

"Pardon?" He finally blurted out. The embarrassment was settling heavy on his body and he wanted to run out of the cafe and never come back. But she laughed, not in a way that was at him, but rather a remedy for an awkward situation.

"What would you like to order?" She repeated.

In this moment Chan realized he hadn't bothered to look at the menu and he had no clue what he wanted to order. Truthfully, he didn't even plan to order anything. "Just a coffee. One cream, one sugar." He didn't even drink coffee, but he wasn't about to stay silent.

"For here or to go?"

"Here."

"Okay, you can find a seat and I'll bring it over once it's ready."

Her voice was melodic and her smile was warm. Chan found himself returning a smile, and was quite satisfied when he noticed a slight blush spreading across her cheeks. He handed her the money for the coffee and reluctantly left to find a table. If it were up to him, he would have loved to stay and sit right at the counter.

He found the closest table he could find, mentally reminding himself to not act creepier than he already had been. He didn't know why he was acting this way, he had met plenty of beautiful people in his time, but none that left an impression in such a short amount of time. She had something about her that made him never want to leave.

Soon, she came over to his table, placing the coffee cup gently on the table. "Here you go. Enjoy!" She smiled again, and Chan knew that smile would be the death of him.

"Thank you." He looked up at her, meeting her eyes as he spoke. She turned around to go back to tend to the customers who were still in line, but before she turned completely Chan glanced at the name tag pinned to her shirt.

"Misun." He said under his breath once he was confident she was out of hearing distance. He knew this was the start of a new chapter in his life. He just didn't know that this was the start of him going down a path much darker than he could ever fathom.