two// all the concrete words around here

Again, picture of Charlotte/Robin!
Song of the chapter: Decided To Break It by Marianas Trench

||Charlotte Robin Dun|| First Person||

I'm not a bad kid, or maybe I am, you can choose. But I know that it isn't fair that Josh is looked upon like some glorious piece of work that never does anything wrong when I get peasant treatment. Josh dropped out of college, for fučk's sake! Is it wrong that I needed a semester off of school to relax and get my shit together? No. Mom just wants another one of her golden plated reasons to bully me. If I got hit by a car right now, she probably wouldn't care because at least her favourite child is still alive and well.

"Ryan," I mutter, thinking about my best friend. Ryan Mistry, what do I say about him? He's been my best friend since we were about ten, our defining encounter being when he was just a pudgy kid that people bullied all of the time. I stood up for him when some guy pushed him into the sandbox, and ever since then, we've been friends. He eventually lost a ton of weight and became this hot, lanky dork. Ryan's mom is Japanese, but his dad is Romanian, so he's mixed. He's practically the only one of my friends that my parents approve of, mainly because his parents work decent jobs and he isn't a pothead like the others. I tap on his picture in my phone's contacts, setting up a phone call to him.

"Hello?" Ryan answers, his voice deep. He couldn't be sleeping, mainly because he's always up at this time. He's probably in the browsing position, watching stupid Vines all day.

"Let's get wasted. I need to take some time off." I let out easily, tucking my biting cold fingers into my pocket.

"Meet me at The Usual Spot," Ryan says, hanging up immediately. I grin at that.

The Usual Spot was dubbed its name after Ryan and I beat Kingdom Hearts 2 in Middle School. It used to be just a place Ryan and I would meet up to go hang out, but in senior year, we made more friends(that my mother believes are hoodlums) and decided that it could be our thing. It's basically this little corner downtown where the others get high and Ryan and I get wasted. We pushed together a bunch of park benches for us to all chill out on and figure out where we'd be going for the night. If I was upset, you'd probably either find me there or in the woods back behind my house.

I shuffle through my wallet as I'm walking down the paved sidewalk, pulling out the desired change for the public transport bus I need to take. I find myself waiting there for probably ten minutes before the bus finally pulls up in front of me. I wait for the doors to part open before I jump up onto the platform. I drop my fare into the little can thing and take a transfer, getting ready for the long bus ride to downtown.

It takes me a total of forty two minutes to get to The Usual Spot, and when I walk closer, I find Ryan leaning against the wall, a cigarette between his lips. I smile and run up to him, and he grins when he sees me. He takes the stick of chemicals out of his mouth and wraps me up into a hug. "Where to, Goldfish?"

Goldfish- I would tell you, but he's the only one who knows. Let's just say it involves the grade six class goldfish and me almost killing it on cleaning duty.

"Anywhere with a decent amount of alcohol and dancing." I say, and Ryan nods. He throws his arm over my shoulder before dropping the cigarette to the concrete, letting his Vans stomp over it and grind it into the floor. And then we're heading forward, Ryan knowing exactly what we're going to do and me being my usual lost self.

--

Two AM, five shots of whiskey, and a can of beer later, Ryan is laughing at me while I spin in circles, clutching onto his hand.

"Let's dance," I slur out, smiling widely at him. Ryan shakes his head, pulling me back and away from the glass of rum that he mixed with Coke.

"You're going home, missy. Josh will kill me if I let you drink anymore." Ryan says, holding me close to his side and leading me through the crowd. I wave my hand, shaking my head.

"Josh... isn't my.. boss." I giggle, burying my nose into Ryan's side. I bite my bottom lip, inhaling his scent.

"Yeah, well you're not the one with genitalia to worry about being severed." Ryan teases me, and then he's pushing the door to the bar open, the cold air rushing at us and wrapping us up in what feels like a sheet of ice. I yawn tiredly, leaning majority of my weight on him. "God, he's going to kill me for even letting you drink, period."

"Then... let's chill at the Usual Spot for a.. bit. Jusss until I calm dooooowwn." I slur out, my eyes crinkling at the corners as I grin up at Ryan. Ryan decides that it's an alright idea, mainly because he wants to try to get the alcoholic effects to wear off as much as possible before I go home. He gives me a piggy back ride as we walk down the dark streets, eventually arriving to the Usual Spot. Ryan sets me down on one of the benches before sitting down next to me.

"Want to talk about the fight?" Ryan asks me a few minutes later. I yawn, holding my hand over my mouth for a moment before I begin to answer.

"She was being annoying and nagging me about my life." I respond, my drunken happiness simmering down a bit more. "She just wants to control me- do the things she regrets not doing when she was younger." I sigh as Ryan fiddles with a box of cigarettes, his trembling fingers poking in and pulling one out. He closes the box and slips it back into his jacket pocket, retrieving his lighter in the process. He lights his cig up before taking a drag.

"I get why you're pissed at her, but at the end of the day, she's your mom and she doesn't want you to make bad mistakes." Ryan says, passing the cancer stick to me. I give it a look, attempting to take a drag before coughing up smoke and handing it back. "You're smart, Robin."

"Yeah, yeah." I roll my eyes, my vision still kind of unfocused.

"No, really. You deserve much better than running around with druggies and drug dealers. Right now, we still have the chance to get out before it's too late. She knows that, too." Ryan says, spouting things I probably would be paying more attention to if I wasn't as intoxicated as I am. "Make the choice before it's too late. You still have a shot at a future."

Ryan, out of courtesy and worry, stayed with me through the whole ride back to my neighbourhood, pulling my leather jacket's hood over my face and pulling me close to him. He didn't want anyone to suspect that I'm a teen drunk off her ass with a guy. That's Ryan, always thinking about my image and my reputation. When it comes to my stop, I get to my feet, managing to stumble off of the bus after Ryan told me to be safe and that he'd call tomorrow. I wave him off before I try my luck in taking a step forward after the bus keeps going.

Nope.

I can't go home like this- Mom would have a brain aneurism. So I crouch close to the ground and try my luck again, staggering my way to the woods behind my house. I let my fingers wrap around the chain link fence, my Converse tips catching on each diamond before I'm falling off and onto the grass opposite of my house. I lie there for a minute, taking in deep breaths before getting up again and making my way deeper into the wooded area. It takes me a moment to get to an alright looking tree, and I sit against the roots, leaning onto it and letting my eyes slip closed.

I'm not a bad kid, or maybe I am. You can choose.

-/::\-

SECOND CHAPTER GUYYS! I am so happy to see some reads on this so quickly! I would really appreciate it if you guys would comment and vote because it's very encouraging! Thanks,

-Stay Classy, Young Volcanoes

•LeaveNoWordsUnspoken