eighteen//can't you see what you do to me

CONTEST ENDS SATURDAY 8:00 AM EST

||Charlotte Robin Dun|| First Person||

Josh beckons me into the awaiting darkness of the backseat as he focuses on putting his suitcase in the trunk along with my duffel bag next to Tyler's stuff. It's freezing cold outside, the kind of weather that ices your cheeks and numbs your fingers, so Josh tells me to wait in the car because he can handle the bags. I jump into the van, sliding against the leather to the very left seat directly behind Mr. Joseph and diagonal of Tyler. Tyler twists around in his seat and sees me, a cute grin finding its way up on his mouth before Josh is closing the trunk and getting into the car. "Morning, Mr. Joseph." Josh says for the both of us, smiling at the his best friend's dad for a moment before he works on buckling his seatbelt. I do the same, my fingers jamming the metal into the red lined lock.

"Morning, Josh. Robin," he nods curtly to me in the mirror and smiles, and I just barely catch it, plastering a smile on my face and nodding back to him in acknowledgement. "Let's hit the road, then." He pulls the gear shift back into Drive and pushes the hand break down, doing a short U- turn before he heads into the direction of the route leading to the airport. A few minutes in, I get Josh to move from his seat behind Tyler to the back seat so I can sleep on him, playing with his fingers absentmindedly as the voices of Tyler and my brother mix together into one continuous and steady hum of speech.

Soon enough, Josh is shaking me awake and telling me that we're here. The sky is still incredibly dark because or how early it is, but there's miles of cars stretching along the road next to the airport, people getting in or out of their cars and heading towards or away from the airport doors. I look up at Josh through sleepy eyes and note that he smiles softly at me, gesturing for me to get up. I make a small noise in the back of my throat as I lazily get off of him and head to my old seat, where I slide the door open..

"Oh!" Tyler jumps back from the door when I get out, a hand on his chest. His brown eyes are wide and his pink lips form a small O. "I thought you were still asleep." He finally smiles sheepishly, rubbing the back of his neck nervously. Even in the dark of the early morning that is illuminated by artificial light, I can detect the red creeping up on his cheeks and neck.

"Sorry," I mumble, pushing the door shut behind me after Josh jumps out of the van, heading for the trunk where Mr Joseph is helping us unpack.

"Hey, I'll get the iPod to you..." he trails off before remembering that today is Friday morning. "Tomorrow?" He clarifies. "You have to hide it, though." Tyler turns his head and flinches just as a car zooms by us. I hold back a giggle.

"Sure thing," I smile at him easily. He looks unsure of what to do at that point, so I open my arms and fling them around his shoulders, pulling him into a tight hug. He lets out an oomph noise at the sudden display of affection, wrapping his arms hesitantly around my waist. "Thanks, Broseph."

"Broseph?" He asks me, his eyebrows raised with a hint of amusement in his eyes, tilting his head back so he can look down at me.

"Tyler Broseph," I nod with a light laugh. "You've earned ultimate bro status." Tyler shakes his head and lets out a cute laugh before he has to let go of me. He motions for me to follow him as he heads around the car, picking up my duffle bag straps before he pulls them over his shoulder. "Dude, I can-" He slams the trunk shut before he grabs the handle of his luggage, smiling at me.

"I got it, Rin." He waits for me to walk ahead of him onto the sidewalk, where the three of us say goodbye to Tyler's dad. Mr. Joseph ruffles Josh's hair along with my own, giving his son an awkward hug around the bags.

"I'll see you kids in December," he grins at us, "lucky ones. You're missing out on the lovely Ohio winter."

"Believe me, it wasn't a choice," I laugh easily with him.

"Oh, it's okay, kiddo. It'll be over before you know it." Mr. Joseph smiles down at me, patting my cheek lightly and affectionately. "The boys will take care of you, right?" He looks at his son and Josh, who both nod dutifully and voice their words of agreement. "Be good, you lot." Mr. Joseph says to us before he heads around the car and gets in, starting the engine up again. Josh and Tyler turn on their heel and begin their trek into the airport. We follow the procedure of tagging our luggage and checking them in through baggage claim. We spend about twenty minutes waiting at the check in desk where we get our boarding passes, and the entire time Josh and Tyler were being their usual selves and talking about how hungry they are. We then went through security and we were finally directed towards the gate for our flight. By the time we got our boarding pass stubs with our seat numbers on it, we spent nearly an hour in total and our flight was set to leave in thirty three minutes.

"Window seat!" I jump in front of my brother and slide into the chair by the window, annoying Josh clearly. He rolls his eyes but smiles regardlessly before he sits next to me, Tyler next to him.

"That was my seat," Josh complains, looking at me like I just told him that dogs were better than cats(I love cats man, they're my spirit animal).

"I wanted it." I smile at Josh, who pouts. "You want it?"

"Yes, please." He says politely. I sigh and stand up, letting him move to the window seat before I plop down in between Ty and Josh.

Soon enough, Josh and Tyler are both respectively leaning over me in their heated argument over whether Taco Bell was better than Chipotle.

"Dude, Chipotle is way better." Josh disagrees with Tyler, who throws his arms up in wonder and makes an appalled facial expression.

"Taco Bell is a thousand times better than your wanna-be fast food restaurant." Tyler argues.

"Chipotle is the real deal, man!" Josh exclaims over the chatter of the other abundance of human beings on the plane. We wouldn't be taking off for another twenty minutes, which has unfortunately been consumed with their loaded debate about which Mexican restaurant was better. Tyler took the side of Taco Bell, which wasn't too surprising considering he wrote and recorded a song called TB Saga dedicated to the fast food chain, while Josh sided with Chipotle. "It's way fresher!"

"They put too much cilantro in their rice, man." Tyler rebuttals. "It's gag- worthy."

"Taco Bell is food for those that are lazy." Josh says.

"Hey, guys, how about you both shut the hell up?" I look between the two boys. "Please? It's five AM."

"Okay, but you have to choose: Taco Bell or Chipotle?" Tyler asks me, his hand unintentionally picking mine up in a tight grip. He looks so serious as Josh leans forward in anticipation of my comment.

"I have to choose," I state in a bored tone, "between TB and Chipotle?"

"Yes," Josh smiles encouragingly.

"McDonalds." I answer. "Now let me sleep."

-/::\-

CONTEST WILL BE OVER 8:00 AM EST

-Stay Classy, Young Volcanoes

•LeaveNoWordsUnspoken