Bad Habits Die Hard

• Dedicated to Johnathan Tipiani

Head back, feet forward and crossed, with a blunt in her hand. That was Scarlett. She sat out by the black lake, its murky waters reflecting her horrid mood. Groaning, she crossed her feet indian style and inhaled shaprly from her blunt. The smoke had already begun to cloud her jugdement. It  made her feel better, happier and overall content. But she still longed for more. After returning to Hogwarts, she immediately ran to see her grandfather once the feast had commenced in the great hall.

It was a horrible decision, really. 

***

"We need to talk now, old man!" 

Her breaths were short and rapid. The run up those ridiculous steps had wiped her out. She needed to take up a sport. On second thought, no. She'd get sweating and gross and she did not need to smell like a man. Her alcohol already did that. Although she had reduced her alcoholic intake by nearly half. For that, Draco was very proud of her and she rejoiced in the feeling. 

"Sit down, my child." Her grandfather's voice animated her senses and she sat down quickly. Her fingers fiddling with one another uncontrollably. Her anxiety was running rampade. She felt a panic attack coming on. The loss of control was too much for her to handle. She needed to regain it. Fast!

"What is it you wish to speak to me about?" His calm voice irritated her. 

"The Dark Lord wants you dead," her eyes grew watery but she held it in. "I've been holding it in all summer but I'm scared. He ordered me to make sure Draco follows through with his plans to kill you and at first I didn't pay attention. I didn't think it would even amount to this. But now that he ordered Draco to do it, it hit me." She gulped, "Draco's going to kill you."

Dumbledore sighed with a weak smile. The twinkling in his eyes had diminished. "I know."

Her eyes widened. "What...How?"

The headmaster smirked, "I have an informant and I will tell you everything but first you need to calm down, Scarlett. Everything will work out."

"But-" she hammered on. "If Draco doesn't do it, he'll be killed and if he does then I'll lose you. Nothing will be okay. Don't you get it, old man! I'm going to lose you when we've only been together for five minutes!"

Tears were already cascading down her rosy cheeks. Then without warning she lunged herself at her grandfather. "I can't lose you. I won't" she cried as she held onto him. Dumbledore let out a soft, chuckle and held onto his granddaughter. The sat in silence for a while.

"Scarlett, I need you to do me a favor. Can you do that for me?"

She nodded her head into his chest. His long white beard making her ticklish. 

"I need you to do as I say, even if you do not like the outcome." He pulled her into a sit up position. "Do you see this ring on my finger?" He pulled back his sleeve robe revealing his blackened and shirveled up hand. Her eyes widened. But before she could speak he continued, "I am dying. This ring is a Horcrux."

"What is a Horcrux?" she asks him confused, scared but overall curious. 

He shakes his head and chuckles. "You have much to learn. Come." He stands up and pulls her up with him. Dumbledore then smiles kindly at her. "I will tell you everything but in due time. Right now, we need to get you something to eat, I noticed you didn't eat anything during the cremony." She shurgged sheepishly. "Also, I will call upon Severus to accompany us."

"Eww, why him?"

Her distain didn't surprise Dumbledore. Afterall, to her Snape was just a deatheater.