Summertime Sadness

Summer. To most normal teenagers, summer is a time where freedom can be expressed. Luxuries, vacations, trips and bondings take place at its most epic. But Hogwarts students weren't normal at all. So why would that concept apply to them? Answer: It doesn't.

Time after time, Scarlett Rosier had tried to embrace the scorching heat, lovely tans and gnarly waves at the beach but she simply could not. For years, she had spent her summers in the cellar. Crying in despair or mourning one of her house elves. It was in fact true that Scarlett held a soft spot for smaller creatures such as house elves. But that was in the past. She had to learn the hard way that pureblood could not associate themselves with the help. But how could such a heartless man beat a seven year old, just for giving a shivering house elf her sweater. It's not like she needed it. She had dozens upon dozens but did her father- scratch that- did the man who raised her care? I think not.

Instead, he made matters worse. Only when he killed a house elve that she had hugged, was when she shut down completely. She didn't get herself attached to anything else. That was exactly why she didn't own a pet. It was too painful to remember. Laying on her back, near the Malfoy's underground pool, on a sweet sunny day, was all it too for her memories to resurface.

***

"Come on Pixie, we don't have all day!" An adorable seven year old ran across the garden's dandelions. Her black hair free and untamed, her expensive white dress stained by the grass and her lovely blue eyes, bright and full of life.

"I must insist that we go inside, Madame Scarlett." The scrawny house elve urged nervously.

Scarlett paused her running and scrunched up her noise in disgust. "Madame? What am I Pixie, fourty five?" The small child giggled. "Besides, daddy won't be home anytime soon and I want to have some fun! Now either you are with me or against me!" Scarlett ran to the edge of the middle fountain and stood on the legde. "Either way, I shall win the war!"

Pixie simply shook her head at the child's antics. "Please Madame-"

"Pixie!"

"I mean-" she stuttered. "Madam- Oh uh Scarlett. Your father w-will be very much disp-pleased."

The house elve's stutter caused Scarlett to laugh out loud. In fact she laughed so hard, she lost her footing and fell into the water. "Holy Camoli! That waters super cold!" She shivered but in an instants the house elve, brought her out of the water with a snap of her fingers. Scarlett smiled and hugged the small creature. "Jeez, thanks Pixie."

"SCARLETT!"

Her young heart stopped and stood still for a moment.

Maybe he'll go away?

"SCARLETT ELIZABETH ROSIER!!!" Or maybe not. She coward behind the house elf, as she watched her father approach the garden. His brown eyes cold and on fire. How was that even possible? "What the bloody hell is the meaning of this? I always knew you were trash but to hug a house elve? That's anarchy! Mutiny! Blasphomy!"

A frowned married the childs soft features. She did not understand the big words. But her frightened mind could only comprehend the pain she felt when his boot shot up and kicked her chin. The child's throat closed up, her eyes burning, her windpipe blocked momentarily.

"I'm sorry, Daddy," she choked out futily, only to have him grabbed a fist full of her hair.

"Don't call me that!" He hissed and up until now, she never understood why he hadn't liked the term, only when she used it. He had no problem with Rebecca saying it but with her, it was the start of a new wizarding war.