XVIII. Bye-Bye

BYE-BYE

2007 AD
23rd February
Tooth Palace

Turns out, it didn't matter that there was no plan B. Agatha found herself thinking that even if they had plans for every letter of the alphabet, they still wouldn't have been prepared for what was about to happen.

Everything had seemed fine, until they had landed the sleigh.

The Palace didn't have a normal structure, it was mostly made up of circular platforms, the base was a tall tower, but there was still platforms coming out if it at different levels, like balconies. They had landed the sleigh on one of those, Agatha taking the time to appreciate the colours: gold, pink and blue. There was even some white accents.

They had disbanded the sleigh and entered the palace through a diamond shaped opening.

Agatha had been expecting more extravagant colours, followed by chirping little critters lik Jack had said. She had expected something that would represent a fairy Palace.

And though there was bright colours, they heavily contrasted the unexpected.

They were black. Not a normal black, but a very dark shade, one that looked like there was a black hole in the shape of a horse right in front of them. Agatha new better than that. The parts of it that fluttered away weren't the hole trying to expand, it was dust.

Thise black holes were nightmares.

On instinct, her Scythe appeared in her left hand, prepared to swing at whatever approached. The other Guardians took a similar stance with their own weapons. A loud laugh echoed off the walls, just as it had done back at the Pole, except this time Agatha knew Pitch wouldn't mess up.

"After all these years," he said, Agatha spinning as she tried to pinpoint the source. "Have you finally realised that you existed before this?"

Agatha didn't say anything, her hand twit hing as she thought about covering her face with a hood. Without it, Pitch could see her emotions. What did and didn't affect her. It was something she had never had to worry about before now.

"Let me guess," Jack said, rolling his shoulders back as he took a protective step towards Agatha, not even realising it. "You stole them? Here, I'll let you remember: it didn't work out so well for you last time."

Jack was taunting him, trying to trick him into revealing himself. It was a good plan but Agatha didn't want it to backlash. So, she stepped towards Jack, their shoulders brushing as they met each other in the middle. They didn't look at eachother, their gazes remained trained on the shadows, trying to find the imposter.

She spotted him.

There was a small tower going in the middle of the room, but according the the other shadows in the room and from the diamond hole the sun was getting in from, the shadow was facing the wrong way. Moving her elbow slowly, she nudged Jack, his head snapping towards her. He didn't get a reply.

"So what's the plan this time?" Agatha asked, taking a pre cautious step towards ths shadow as she  continued to look around the room. Jack scattered after her like a lost puppy, not knowing what she was doing. He doubted that she knocked his elbow by accident. He knew he didn't know everything about her, but from what he did know he had figured Agatha dowsnt do things by accident. "Steal them and try use them against me? It didn't work last time, Pitch. Why would this time be any different?"

She continued to walk towards the shadow, picking up the pace and once she said her last word, she swung her Scythe down. There was an ear aching screech as the shadow split up, disbanding as it scattered to join others. It was a trick, the shadow was made up of nightmares, not Pitch.

Her grip loosened, annoyed that she had been fooled. She turned around, ready to scan the room again when a presence was felt behind her, Pitch speaking beside her ear. "Because this time, I'm taking you with me."

She didn't have time to react, her Scythe tumbled from her grip as she lurched forward, trying to reach Jack. Her hand clasped in his and he pulled her towards him desperately, but Pitch and his nightmares were stronger. With a single tug, her hand was ripped from Jack's and she fell to the floor, her stomach scraping the smooth patterns as she was dragged back into the shadows.

"Jack!" She yelled, her voice higher than she had ever heard it. She had never felt dear like it. He yelled after her, or looked like he did. Agatha couldn't actually hear him as she disappeared into thin air before a sound could leave his lips.

Jack desperately ran forward, his hands hitting the wall that she had disappeared into. It was solid once again.

"Agatha!" Jack yelled as loud as he could, frantically hitting the wall with his fists as he tried to get through. He stopped, his fists resting against the surface as his head dropped, his hair tickling his forehead. His chest rattled, his eyes clenching shut as a shaky breath left his throat, sinking to his knees. "Agatha," he said, the word now barely audible, drowned out by the other Guardians looking around as they called her name.

A hand rested on his shoulder and Jack flinched before looking up to see Bunny, his ears not standing up as straight as before. He sighed, shaking his head. He patted Jack's shoulder once more before walking off, heading back to the sleigh.

Anger erupted in him.

"So what! You're just gonna leave!" He yelled, getting ti his feet as he clutched his staff in his hands, his brows furrowed and eyes narrowed as he watched them head back to the sleigh.

"Jack, theres nothing we can do from here," North said, sheathing his swords as he paused, sending a sad look back at the Winter spirit.

"But!-But-" Jack was cut off with another shaky breath  a tear leaving his eye. He sighed, turning away so no one would see it.

There was a tug at the bottom of his jumper, he turned spoting Sandy. The little guy smiled up at him, though it wasn't as happy or as bright as usual. He looked down at his hands before looking back up at Jack, offering him Agatha's Scythe.

Jack's eyes widened. He hesitated, hands shaking, as he took the Scythe from Sandy, nodding in appreciation as he did. Sandy nodded in return before turning and walking back over to the sleigh.

Jack frowned, another tear leaving. He began to walk towards the sleigh, casting one last look over his shoulder. Only one thought in his mind:

So help me Manny, I will get her back