XIV. Confusion

CONFUSION

2007 AD

22nd February, 10:30

North Pole

Agatha stared at where Pitch had just disappeared. She slowly raised a hand, pointing to it with a look of anxiety. She was the first to speak in the silent room, her quite voice ringing throughout the room.

''Did he - Did he, just, just, do the thing?'' She stuttered, not being able to get her words out. But that didn't really matter, no one was listening. As soon as a word had left her lips, the Guardian's were snapped out of their thoughts and were instantly crowded around her.

Jack was floating right in front of her, his hands on her shoulders as he stared at her, his eyes slightly glossy as he shook her gently in desperation.

''Jack? What?'' Agatha asked, anxiety beginning to overwhelm her again, had she done something wrong?

''Your last name.'' He said. ''What is it?''

''Didn't you hear me?'' Agatha said, her eyebrows furrowing as she shook her head. ''I don't know.''

''Your memories,'' North said, stepping forward with a concerned look of thought, one hand across his chest, the other in his beard. ''You not have them?''

''No, of course not,'' Agatha shook her head.

''Do you know why?'' Tooth asked, her hands brought to her chest as she was almost curled into a ball of worry as she flew forward slightly.

''Yeah. A Spirit doesn't remember until they die, right? That's why I don't know, but everyone on the other side - and Sandy - does,'' She stopped, looking at all of their expressions, her eyes widening as they set on Jack, locking eyes with him. ''You - you all remember?''

Jack felt like screaming. She had gone for so long without knowing she had more to her life than this, that there was a whole other piece of her that she didn't know of. To make it worse, she was aware a Spirit had memories, but she didn't know where they came from. She didn't know she was meant to remember. Jack knew how that felt, but he had only had to suffer for three-hundred years, Agatha had a lot more.

Instantly, Jack's hands moved from her shoulders to her upper back as he pulled her into him, hiding his face in her shoulder, not caring that the others saw. Slowly, Agatha's hands went to rest on his back, patting it softly as she looked at the Guardian's who were still watching them.

''Agatha,'' Tooth said, moving forward slightly as she smiled sadly. ''We all have memories, but you don't get them after death.''

''Then when do you get them? When you find your purpose? Your centre?'' The last part was mostly directed to North. She felt Jack nuzzle even further into her, like he was trying to comfort her. But Agatha wasn't upset, she was confused.

''No, Agatha,'' North said, crossing both his arms as his weight shifted legs and he sighed, looking down. ''You don't have to do anything to get them.''

''I'm sorry,'' Agatha said, shaking her head as she released Jack, stepping away from him, shaking her head as she did so. A look of hurt flashed across Jack's face but he quickly hid that as he stepped back too, slightly behind the other Guardian's to hide his slightly glassy eyes. ''I don't understand.''

''Crickey,'' Bunny muttered, shaking his head as he looked down at his feet. ''Didn't think it would be this bad.''

''Agatha, we need you to think. What's your last name?'' North said, taking a step forward as he gestured at her.

Agatha's head shakes became more frantic as her eyes began to sting, she held her head up. You could tell she was trying not to let her emotions out - she had never held her head that high before.

''Even a letter can help, Agatha,'' Tooth said the others chipping in with ideas she had to try and remember. As a last resort, Agatha turned away from the babbling Spirits and towards Sandy and Jack. She looked at Sandy, but the little guy shrugged, puffing his cheeks out to show he didn't know. Her eyes trailed up to Jack.

He looked lost.

His eyes locked with hers and his shoulders sagged, shaking his head too.

Agatha took a few more steps back, her head still shaking, before she span on her heel and fled from the room, taking refuge in a room as far away as possible.