XXI. Reunion

REUNION

2007 AD
9th March, 04:14 PM
Burgess, Pennsylvania

''Jack? I'm not sure about this.''

He turned to look at her, his excited rate at which he flew, slowing to a stop as his feet hit the ground meters away from where she stood. After they had left the blasted woods, it had taken them a few minutes to get their grasp back on how to control their powers, and they spent a few minutes rejoicing in their freedom. After their celebration, Jack had come up with a plan. He had to defeat Pitch, and the only way he knew how was with friends.

Agatha hadn't said much after they began their journey. He should've realised that silence was now out of character for her.

''About what?'' He said softly, head tilting to the side as his arm lazily lifted slightly, not wanting to scare her. She didn't flinch though, hesitating as her own arm followed his movements. They were slightly too far apart to hold hands, so the tips of their fingers simply overlapped each others, squeezing slightly.

''About this,'' she said, shoulder raising and as if trying to bury herself with them, her voice was meek, trying to find the right words. ''This idea?''

He nodded, showing his was listening, but the furrowed brows gave away that he wasn't understanding, he turned to fully face her instead of standing sideways and craning his neck - he didn't figure the conversation would be very long initially, but she seemed uncomfortable, afraid almost, so they would stay there for as long as it took to make her feel better. ''Okay, what part of it do you not agree with?''

She shook her head, and he could tell she was getting frustrated from the way she frowned. ''No, it's not that I don't agree with it, I just- agh!'' Her other hand waved, cutting through the air sharply as she made all sorts of gestures.

Jack liked to think he was good at understanding Sandy, and he prided himself on how well he knew Agatha - but he was having difficulty this time. Stepping forwards, he let their arms hand between the now smaller distance between them, other hand moving to gently graze across her cheek, snapping her out of her rambling rage. ''Okay, okay,'' he said, mimicking a deep breath that she found herself sub-consciously copying. ''Take your time. Try and talk me through it.''

''I am trying-!''

''And I know that,'' Jack interrupted, not raising his voice. Agatha paused, taking a moment to appreciate his patience as her brows softened and shoulders slackened. ''It's okay.''

She nodded, gathering herself. ''It's just that, I don't know - it's very rare for people to see me, and I really don't like it when someone actually looks at me. I don't really want to make people see me on purpose.''

''I actually look at you,'' he offered.

Agatha's cheeks reddened. ''That's different.''

''How?''

''Because, y'know, you're nice.''

''And how do you know that they aren't?''

''Because they're alive!'' She said, exasperated, before frowning. ''Not that I- Not that I'm glad you're dead, or anything, I didn't mean it like that-''

Jack chuckled, smiling softly. ''And I didn't take it like that.'' His fingers moved from where they had stilled on her cheek, moving to cup her face. ''Honestly, stop rethinking everything around people - especially me. I promise you, I'm not going to judge or hurt you.''

Arms were wrapped around him, fingers scraping against his back as she desperately grasped at his hoodie. It took Jack a moment to get over it, arms hovering mis-air before slowly lowering themselves onto her cloaked back, pulling away momentarily when she let out a shaky breath. He hugged her back just as tight.