II. Time Has Come

TIME HAS COME

2062 Years Later - 2007 AD

February 16th, 15:19

Spain

A girl smiled sadly as she walked into a hospital. She nodded, almost fearfully, at the receptionist, not getting a response back.

The girl calmly walked past everyone until she came upon a certain room that was calling for her. She took a deep breath, reaching behind her as she pulled her hood up. She grabbed the handle, only hesitating for a split second before entering.

She froze at the scene. A father was reading to his ill son. The mysterious girl felt her nose scrunch up in disgust.

Not at the love between father and son, no, that was pure, no being could ever hate that.

No, what bothered her was that they were living.

No matter how man times she forced herself to walk amongst the living, to try and talk to them - not that one ever responded - she had never gotten over the fear that they were alive.

The mysterious girl watched, frowning as the boy began to cough hysterically. The father instantly dropped the book, helping the boy sit up as he patted his back, whispering soothing things into his son's ear.

She held her hand out, a miniature hour-glass appearing, floating a few inches above her palm. There was a name engraved into the rim of it's bottom. In cursive font, read 'Miguel'.

She sighed through her nose, enclosing her fist as the hour-glass dissolved into nothing but black mist.

The girl walked forward, standing next to the boy, opposite the father. Miguel sniffed, laying down in the bed, his rib cage shaking as he was in pain with every gasp of breath he took.

Slowly, the girl reached out and took his hand. He gasped once more before his chest stopped and a smile over took his features.

Time stopped, freezing in place. The father remained hunched over the boy, tears in his eyes but they were frozen in place.

Miguel sat up, it was a strange sight, his body stayed behind him, yet his spirit looked just as solid.

''Father?'' He spoke in Spanish, but the girl understood it with ease.

''I'm sorry, but it's time for you to leave now,'' She spoke in a soft voice - also in Spanish - seeming more confident that time was frozen and she was with one of her own. One of the dead. ''You've joined me and your ancestors in the land of the dead. You can say your goodbye's if you'd like, but he won't see nor hear you.''

Miguel nodded in understanding as he looked back at his father, he asked him to look after his dinosaur collection and tell his mum he loved her, and his sister that he wouldn't be able to make it to her graduation.

The girl smiled as he turned back to her. He didn't seem at all upset, in fact, he looked rather relived. As most do upon death.

She held a hand out and he took it with no hesitation. ''What happens now?'' He asked, eyeing the Scythe that appeared in the girls hand with curiosity.

''Now you go to the after-life. There is no Heaven or Hell, merely a second world where you get to-'' She hesitated, not being able to say 'live'. ''-Stay. You can make new friends, find a new home, find your ancestors. You will stay as you are now, unless you wish to age.''

The boy nodded, squeezing the girls hand, she smiled reassuringly as she held her Scythe in front of her, slashing through the air.

A portal appeared in front of them - it was like a mirror, yet nothing like one.

The perimeter of the doorway was surrounded by black, swirling fog and inside was a village. It looked like it teleported you outside the hospital, all the houses and layouts were the same, but the atmosphere was different, more friendly and upbeat. A few people even waved at the two through the portal.

On each of them, you could see they were holding a small mirror, some whispering to it, some cradling it, some watching it and others just had it tucked into a bag of some sort as the went on with their day.

''Oh, how silly of me,'' The girl said before clapping and when her hands parted, another mirror appeared. She passed it to the boy with a gentle smile. ''Just whisper the name of the person you wish to see. If you speak to them, they will hear you, but they'll think it's just a memory or them wondering what you would say if you were there.''

The boy took it, he stared at it for a few moments before looking back up at her with a wide smile. The girl laughed for a second, ruffling his hair. ''Go on.''

He looked at her, as he asked why she wasn't going with him.

''I'm needed here,'' She said. The boy nodded, looking over at his father who was yet to move. ''He'll remember you.''

The boy looked back at her, seeming unsure.

''No one ever forgets, not really.''

He nodded.

''Can I ask you a question?''

Another nod.

''What colour are my eyes?''

''White; like a fresh start,'' He said, waving goodbye as he walked through the portal, he was instantly greeted by others and one of his great-grandmothers came running over, yelling in glee as she cradled him.

The girl finally let a tear run down her face as the world around her resumed play.

She moved her hand forward, towards the portal, wanting it to go through.

But it didn't, an invisible force was in the way, only a rippled effect happened. A few people from inside the portal gave her sad looks, though she had never told them, they had figured out what she was doing with herself.

Trying to find a purpose.

The portal closed as soon as she took her hand off it. She could hear the father's screams of agony, the heart monitor continuing a long beep, the fast footsteps that were running to the room.

She let her Scythe disappear as she exited the room, multiple doctors rushing through the door. She tried to avoid contact with them as she calmly left, but there was no point. Even the few who brushed against her didn't touch her, they went straight through.

She exited the hospital, settling for wandering down the streets.

No one could see her.

Though they all believed in death, only few believed in the Grim Reaper, but even then, they believed her for the wrong one.

They believed in the Boogeyman.

Pitch Black.

Her thought process wondered to her eye colour. They were to remain white until she found her purpose, only then would they change. That was why she asked, despite being shot down repeatedly, despite her hopes being crushed every time, she still asked.

Any one of those people could be her purpose.

She wondered if it was to do her job until everyone had died.

Would she be allowed through the portal then?

Or will she be stuck on the other side, aimlessly wandering through a wasteland as everyone had fun on the other side, forgetting all about her.