VI. Depends

DEPENDS

2007 AD

20th February, 02:00

Scotland Moors

The night had gone by quickly and Agatha was now listening to Jack's story.

''After that, I kept visiting Jamie, until...'' He trailed off, his smile turning into a frown. ''Until he turned fifteen.''

''He stopped believing?'' Agatha asked softly.

''Yeah,'' Jack frowned. He was surprised when Agatha had reached forward and placed her hand on his, in order to comfort him. When he looked up, Agatha was sending him a soft smile. She didn't seem scared or nervous. But she seemed comfortable, enough to actually make contact with him.

He found himself smiling at her and, thinking she had cheered him up, her smile brightened as she let her hand drop.

The two were no longer sitting on the wind or a platform of fog, they were laid down, watching the stars twinkle above them, the Moon now in it's highest position. It was helpful that spirits didn't need to sleep.

''Well?'' Agatha asked, side glancing at Jack before turning her attention towards the stars again.

''Well, what?'' Jack asked, rolling his eyes fondly.

''Well,'' She started, turning her head to look a him as she moved her hands out from under her head in order to look at him better. ''Do you still want to be friends with the 'terrifying bringer of death'?''

Jack smiled, casually rolling onto his front, now laid only centimetres away from Agatha, but neither noticed. He propped himself on his elbows to hold his head and part of his torso off of the ground as he looked down at her, ''From what you've told me, that's not what you are.''

Agatha smiled.

She had told him about 'everything', from her first time doing her job, to Cupid, to, well, like I said, 'everything'.

(Hint, hint: It wasn't actually everything).

But he still wanted to be friends with her. After a few years of being the Grim Reaper, she had started to think of herself as what others called her, a monster.

But he didn't think of her like that.

''My, my,'' A voice said. One all too familiar. Agatha felt a shiver go down her spine as she and Jack bounced to their feet, Agatha being slightly less graceful. You would think after a few thousand years, she would have gotten better at this. But no.

 Jack and Agatha automatically stood back to back, Agatha had made her Scythe appear and was holding it out in front of her. Jack was doing the same thing with his staff.

''What an awkward moment to drop in on,'' The voice continued.  Agatha took a deep, shaky breath as she silently pulled her hood up in order to comfort herself slightly. The voice began to laugh, it wasn't an awkward one, nor was it a joyful one. It was different entirely.

''Who would have thought the great Jack Frost and the little monster would become friends,'' The voice taunted. Agatha and Jack began to walk in a circle, still stood back to back.

''She's not a monster,'' Jack said. A small smile flashed across Agatha's features.

''I have to say, I am quite surprised,'' He continued, still not showing his face.

''Why are you here?'' Jack demanded but the voice ignored him completely.

''Why won't the Grim Reaper speak? I know you can,'' He said, sounding annoyed, he took being ignored quite personally.

''Answer the question, Pitch,'' Jack growled, pushing his back against Agatha's even more, letting her know he was still by her side.

Agatha then matched the voice to the name. Pitch Black. Oh, she hadn't had to deal with him since the Dark Ages. But, she supposed if she was meant to be a Guardian again, she'd be seeing a lot more of him now.

''Well, I was rather hoping I could get Death on her own,'' Pitch said, not quite in a sing-song voice, but in a normal tone either. ''It is 'her' now, yes? Not 'it'?  Who would've guessed there was actually a person inside that black cape.''

''Better than a black dress,'' Agatha mumbled. She flushed as she realised she said it out loud. Jack let out a chuckle and Pitch growled.

''You may have insulted me, but the deal I came here to offer still stands.''

''And what deal was that?'' Jack asked.

''Oh, it wasn't one for you Jack, no no. It's for Agatha. That is your name, isn't it?'' He asked, though it sounded more like a statement, he was already one-hundred percent sure.

''You were there? In the Pole?'' Agatha asked, doing her best to make sure her voice remained steady.

''And she finally talks to me,'' Pitch said, sounding amused. ''You sound young, fragile, weak. Though, that won't be a problem once you take the offer.'' He ignored Agatha's question.

''You still haven't told her what it is,'' Jack said, rolling his eyes as he continued to frantically search the shadows.

''Well, it's quite simple.'' The voice stopped there and seconds of silence followed after.

The silence was stopped by Agatha's gasp as Pitch appeared in front of her, with a wave of wind following. He towered over her, smirking with his golden eyes.

''Join me,'' He said.

''I've denied you once before Pitch, what makes you think this time is any different?'' She highered her Scythe as she stepped backwards, Jack standing by her side, his staff raised too. He stood close enough to Agatha to reassure her, but far enough away to give them both room to attack if needed.

''Nothing,'' Pitch smiled, as if he found the two amusing. ''Except that I have leverage over you.''

''And what leverage is that?'' Jack spoke up.

''Your name,'' Pitch laughed. Jack lunged forward, but Pitch merely took a few hurried steps back before he shrunk into the shadows, disappearing into the night.

''Gone,'' Jack mumbled as he surveyed the area quickly. He turned to look at a shaken looking Agatha. He gently put his staff down as he neared her, putting his hands on her shoulders to snap her out of her daze. It worked as her eyes widened and she turned her head so she was looking at him. ''Hey, are you alright? You look pale.''

''Probably because I'm dead,'' Agatha cracked a weak smile and Jack shook his his head let his arms drop from his friends shoulders.

''I should tell North,'' He said, frowning slightly as he glanced at her. ''Are you coming?''

''Depends,'' Agatha said.

''On what?'' Jack furrowed his brows as he used his foot to kick his staff into the air, swiftly catching it.

''Are you going to kidnap me if I say no?''

''Depends,'' Jack mimicked.

''On what?'' Agatha said, smiling fondly as she rolled her eyes.

''Are you going to say no?''

''No,'' Agatha raised an eyebrow.

''You said it!'' He exclaimed before scooping her up and throwing her over his shoulder.

''Jack! That's not what I meant! Put me down!'' Agatha laughed.

''No can do,'' He said.

''Hey, you said no!''

''What am I gonna do? Kidnap myself?''

Agatha mumbled to herself, pulling her hood up to hide her red cheeks as she propped herself up with her elbows that were using Jacks back as a surface. Jack smirked as he jumped off of the ground, the wind gladly carrying him to their destination.