Barista •Josh Kiszka•

It's a sunny Monday afternoon, and you desperately need a coffee. Still in your stained work clothes you walk to the nearby coffeeshop. You're basically a regular there, so you expect to see Chris behind the counter when you swing open the door. The little bells chime and an unfamiliar face turns their head at the noise. You step in and see a curly haired boy in an apron. He sends you a huge smile and drops the towel he was cleaning something up with.

"Hey, welcome to The Brew, what can I get started for you?" He has a warm, friendly voice, making him even more interesting. You hop onto one of the barstools and lean your chin on your palm. "Could I get a double shot of espresso....Josh?" You read his little name tag to try and find out more about this new, unfamiliar guy. He nods with a little laugh and gets to work. "So, rough day today?" He asks as he turns on one of the machines and waits for it to do its job. "What makes you say that? Do I look that bad?" You dramatically sigh and cover your face with your hands.

You feel a strong grip on your wrists, they're being pulled away from your face, revealing him standing in front of you. "No, you don't look bad. It's just that no one orders a double espresso shot for fun." He grins and your cheeks heat up. You look down and notice he's still holding your wrists. Luckily one of the machines beeps, so he lets you go to check on it. "Well, I did have a rough day actually. But, I also would like to know something."

He returns with your coffee and nods as he sits down on a little stool on his side of the counter. "Shoot." He leans back and crosses his arms, squinting a little. "Where's Chris? He's almost always working." Josh smiles and bites his lip. "Well, he's my uncle. He offered me a job here to focus on his woodworking project. I don't really have anything to do anyway so why not, y'know? " You nod as you sip your hot coffee. "My turn again. Why did you have a rough day? Consider me your personal therapist for the afternoon." You laugh at his proposition and shift in your seat.

"Fine, I'll tell you." He scooches in a little closer and rests his chin in his palms, really listening to you. "My job sucks, and my boss was being a huge dick today, and he sort of fired me? Ugh, I don't even know at this point." you sigh and run your hands through your hair. You look up at Josh who has a huge smile on his face. "Glad to know you enjoy the story of how I got fired..." His smile immediately falters. "That's not why I was smiling! My uncle told me I needed to look for new employees, see?"

He points at a little sign on the counter, "Now hiring!" You read and you laugh. "Well I guess you're my guardian angel then, Josh." You turn your face back at him and he's smiling again. "So, when can you get started? Also, I still don't really know your name..?" He holds out his hand for you to shake. "My name is Lana, nice to meet you." His grip is strong and warm around your hand, it's like they fit together perfectly. "Nice to meet you Lana, when can you get started? I work every day except Saturdays." He says as he ruffles his curls a little. "Tomorrow?" You hopefully ask and he only smiles bigger. "Tomorrow it is."

You guys talk for a little longer, the small coffee place receiving no other customers. Josh gives you an apron and tells you when you'll start tomorrow. You guys part with a smile, and you can't wait to start your new job.

You're almost at your car as you hear your name being called behind you. With your keys in hand you turn around, only to see Josh sprinting toward you. "Josh? What's up?" You confusedly ask as he comes to a halt in front of you, panting. "Whew, my body isn't made for sprinting..." He takes a few deep breaths as you laugh at the sight of the cute, curly haired boy standing there. "I was wondering if you'd like to grab a bite together? The shop closes in ten minutes, but I can close up a little early." He looks at you with his bright eyes, blushing a little.

"Actually, I'd love that. Should I help you clean up?" You propose. "No, no! You don't need to do any more work today, wait here. I'll close up in record time, give me five minutes." He looks serious yet you can't help but laugh. "Okay, I'll be here." You promise him and he turns to walk away. "Wait, Josh!" He turns back and wants to ask you what's up, but he doesn't get the chance. You grab his face and plant your lips on his. At first he's surprised, but then he returns the kiss. His hand settles on your waist, the other stroking your jaw. His kiss feels genuine and refreshing, his touch almost electric.

Out of breath he pulls away, looking at you. "What was that for?" He softly asks, his warm voice making you blush. "I don't know, I felt like it." You sweetly smile as you grab his hand. "I should close up, but we're not done here. Don't go anywhere!" He pecks you on your lips once more and jogs back to the shop to close up. "I'll be waiting!" You call out as you lean against your car, smiling to yourself. Maybe this wasn't such a bad day after all.